Chapter 37

Chapter 37: I Don't Care about My Reputation

The imaginary story of Chen Xiao Mi stumbling upon a 'treasure book' spread rapidly in the village.

Grandma Chen was immediately intrigued when she heard the story.

"Chen Xiao Mi has found some treasure in the mountain, why don't we try our luck as well?" Grandma Chen brought that up by the dining table.

Chen Shou Xin's heart jolted as she heard that, 'Mother, please don't send me to the mountain, have you forgotten how your second son died? He died from venturing into the mountains!'

"Mother, just give up on that thought. Chen Xiao Mi is a total freak, that's why he has survived the mountains!"

Grandma Chen shook her head with indifference, "He is just a Bio."

"Mother, my Big Brother is right about this, Chen Xiao Mi must have rummaged the entire mountain for treasures." Chen Shou Ren chimed in, he was afraid of his own safety as well.

Chen Shou Xin and Chen Shou Ren disdained each other, but finally they saw eye to eye on something.

"I doubt it, there must be something left."

Grandpa Chen snapped, "Are you done with your crazy talk? We've already lost a son, isn't that enough?"

Grandpa Chen always felt guilty about his second son's death, but only sometimes, back then he agreed on risking his son's life as well.

Grandma Chen hated Chen Xiao Mi even more now that Grandpa Chen snapped at her.

Grandma Chen thought Chen Xiao Mi was just a hunter, but her other grandson Chen Jing was an intellectual. Chen Jing could make better use of the 'treasure book' if he was the one who had found it. She was just so indignant that it wasn't her favorite grandson who had made a fortune.

Chen Shou Xin and his family had defamed Chen Xiao Mi one more time after Chen Xiao Mi kicked him out.

Chen Xiao Mi's reputation had taken a sudden turn and become worse rapidly.

Grandma Chen would just run her mouth in front of villagers saying Chen Xiao Mi showed a total disregard for his grandfather's health, she couldn't believe her own grandson could be so unfilial.

Some villagers who envied Chen Xiao Mi's success took the moral high ground and accused Chen Xiao Mi being unfilial.

Chen Xiao Mi didn't care about this reputation at all.

As a matter of fact, he had some fun when the villagers started to talk to him days ago, it had been so long since anyone ever wanted to talk to him except his two brothers and Lu Lin after all. But the novelty soon wore off.

The villagers always asked him questions like 'what inspired you to make the kang', 'are you still brewing your own liquor', 'what inspired you to make the gloves'... ...

Lu Lin gave all the credit to Chen Xiao Mi because he didn't want the Lus to make a scene, but the fact was Chen Xiao Mi had nothing to do with those ideas, so he had idea how to answer those questions. He would just pull a long face and walk away. Soon the villagers thought Chen Xiao Mi was just too small-minded to share.

Lu Lin didn't have a good way to make Chen Shou Xin and his family shut up. Filiality was the most valued characteristics in that time and space.

"Your uncle is a bit annoying." Said Lu Lin.

Chen Xiao Mi squinted and nodded, "He just wants to mooch off me."

Chen Xiao Mi knew no way could he allow that to happen, he knew Chen Shou Xin's entire family would just leech off him once he softened his attitude.

Lu Lin frowned, "But I don't think he will take no for an answer now that he knows we have made a fortune."

Chen Xiao Mi suddenly looked fierce, "I will ask him to talk to my bamboo stick!"

Chen Xiao Mi used to worry about his brothers' marriages, he was once afraid what if no one wanted to betroth with his brothers due to his bad reputation. But that was no longer a matter of concern to Chen Xiao Mi, he decided to buy his brothers partners if no one wanted to marry them.

Human nature was a funny thing. Some people would just keep harassing you if you gave them any attention, and they would lie low if you ignored them.

Villagers were used to the drama between Chen Xiao Mi and Grandma Chen, soon no one talked about it because Grandma Chen was the only one who kept barking.

Chen Shou Xin was so disappointed that Chen Xiao Mi wasn't affected by those talks.

And soon the table had turned. Just a few days later, the villagers started to talk about Chen Shou Xin was just being petty by making a scene, Chen Shou Xin ended up losing money in his gloves business, that was why he asked for money from Chen Xiao Mi.

The villagers didn't approve that behavior, they had even gloated over Chen Shou Xin's failure.

Chen Shou Xin turned furious when he heard of the villagers started to make fun of him instead of criticizing Chen Xiao Mi, but there was nothing he could do about that.