Chapter 50

Chapter 50: Lu Cheng Yu is Getting Married

"What? Lu Cheng Yu is getting married soon?" Lu Lin was utterly astonished.

Chen Xiao Cai nodded, "That's what I heard."

'Tut tut tut, even I have heard about it, and now you need Cai to tell you.' Chen Xiao Mi cast a glimpse at Lu Lin and shook his head.

Lu Cheng Yu and the host Lu Lin were basically the same age, Lu Cheng Yu was twenty days older than the host Lu Lin, but Grandmother Lu and Grandfather Lu treated them with vast difference. Lu Lin had never got any love from them.

"Ha, he did pay tax last year, right?" Lu Lin gloated.

Chen Xiao Mi nodded, "I think so, yeah."

The more Lu Lin thought about it, the more he gloated.

Lu Cheng Yu was even more arrogant than his mother Tang, the scholars at school had high hopes for him, and he was confident that he would become a Xiucai in no time. He had never landed eyes on a village girl or an average town girl, he counted on networking with the officials in town and marrying a lady in a wealthy family after he became a Xiucai.

Tang had the same plan for her son, she hadn't really thought about Lu Cheng Yu's marriage because she knew they'd have more chance to betroth with a wealthy family after Lu Cheng Yu became a Xiucai.

Last year, when Lu Cheng Yu about to turn 18 and was about to be taxed, Tang had thought about marring a girl for the sole purpose of avoiding tax, so she had talked with a lot of matchmakers.

Lu Cheng Yu showed great interest in the beginning, but soon his high spirits were dampened because the matchmakers had only introduced average village girls to him.

The fact was the matchmakers knew Lu Cheng Yu and his family were in a rush to get married to avoid tax, so they thought Lu Cheng Yu wouldn't be picky, so they only introduced the not so pretty girls to him. As a result, Lu Cheng Yu had rejected them firmly.

So Tang had to pay tax for Lu Cheng Yu last year.

Lu Cheng Yu failed to pass the Spring Imperial Examination this year again, Tang didn't want to pay other 3 tales of silver this year, and she was convinced that luck played an important role in the exams, none from their village had passed the exam this year, there were quite a few people in their fifties or even sixties who still didn't get the title of Xiucai.

Tang figured she could betroth with an all right family as a makeshift plan, thus Lu Cheng Yu could continue the exams with no pressure of paying tax.

"That Spring Imperial Examination seems like impossible to pass." Chen Xiao Mi sighed.

Lu Lin smiled and nodded.

Xiucai was revered by people because the title so hard to get. Compared to the kids from villages whose entire families had to work hard to pay the tuition fee, the young masters from the wealthy families were so lucky, all they needed to do was to study without worrying about anything in life.

Lu Lin rubbed his chin and asked Chen Xiao Cai, "Have you heard who Lu Cheng Yu is going to marry, Cai?"

Chen Xiao Cai frowned and he said, "I'm not sure, but I heard it's a girl from an official's family in town."

Tang was ridiculed by the villagers due to her arrogant attitude, but recently she started to throw her weight about because her son was about to marry a girl from an official's family.

"A girl from an official's family in town? Really?" Lu Lin doubted it, he thought that was an exaggeration, but he decided to find out in case it was true.