Chapter 29

Chapter 29: Making New Friends

Liu Gui Yong bore a grudge when he saw the villagers in Big Stone Village trying to steal his job, but he didn't show it. He kept blaming his other son Liu Wu for having conversations with the prying villagers, and he glared at Liu Wu when he found out Liu Wu had told the villagers their wage.

Liu Wu just scratched his head when he saw his father glaring at him.

Liu Wu had a quick tongue and always said what he thought without much deliberation. He got mad when the villagers tried to convince him that neither Chen Xiao Mi nor Lu Lin was good person, and they wouldn't pay him on time for sure.

Liu Wu defended Chen Xiao Mi and Lu Lin, he told the villagers to mind their own business and all of his team members were getting paid on time. Some cunning villagers took advantage of Liu Wu's outspoken nature, they deliberately asked him detailed questions, Liu Wu fell for that, he had said something that was meant to be a secret.

Lu Lin had selected several honest and hard-working villagers from Big Stone Village, the villagers were grateful for Lu Lin's kindness, and they worked industriously.

It became so interesting, the villagers and Liu Gui Yong's team worked in a competitive way, both teams wanted to outshine.

It only took Liu Gui Yong's team ten days or so to build the room, Big Stone Village team was unwilling to lag behind, they finished building the mule carriage, chicken coop, goose coop ahead of schedule as well. Lu Lin asked the Big Stone Village team to dig a cellar and laying bricks in the new room.

The villagers were happy that they kept getting work and getting paid, but they couldn't help but wonder how exactly Lu Lin and Chen Xiao Mi could had so much money to keep paying them to work for them.

They knew they didn't have a chance to get anything useful from Liu Gui Yong's team, so they decided to approach Chen Xiao Cai after some calculating.

Chen Xiao Cai had been as busy as a bee recently, he needed to keep an eye on all the animals and he was in charge of feeding them three times a day. So the villagers had seen Chen Xiao Cai quite a fair bit in the yard, they would just always beat around the bush, trying to pry for information, they wish they could have a clue why all of a sudden Chen Xiao Mi became so rich.

Soon Chen Xiao Mi and Lu Lin decided to build a kang in the new room as well. Both Liu Gui Yong's team and the Big Stone Village team watched them attentively on the day they built the kang.

The Big Stone Village team had even declared that they were willing to work for free for them for three days as long as they could watch and learn how to build kang. Chen Xiao Mi and Lu Lin thought about it and they nodded their assent.

The villagers soon became hotcakes after they had learned how to build kang, so many rich families were willing to hire them with a high price to have a kang for winter.

Other villagers wished they were on good terms with Chen Xiao Mi as well, they were jealous of their friends who were making a fortune through leaning from Chen Xiao Mi.

Zhang Cheng, the Village Head, was so depressed due to that.

As the Village Head, he wanted their entire village to shake off poverty and become prosperous. He kept blaming Chen Xiao Mi and Lu Lin for teaching Liu Gui Yong and his team who were from the other village the skills to build kang. He insisted such skills should be exclusive to their own village, thus the villagers could go to town and work for those wealthy families.

Zhang Cheng would squint his eyes and imagine how great it was going to be if only their own villagers knew how to build kang, they didn't have to compete with Liu Gui Yong's team, and they could price themselves out of the market.