Chapter 56

Chapter 56: Early-stage Preparations for the Business

Zhang Jin went back home only to see both of his parents looking sulky.

"Mother, what's wrong?"

Zhang Jin's mother frowned and said, "I asked your father to ask the Lus to repay the 2 taels of silver, but your father turned me down."

Zhang Cheng scratched his head in embarrassment and explained, "The Lus have just held a grand wedding ceremony, they don't have a lot of cash in hand."

"They have invited so many guests, I'm sure they have received money as wedding gifts." Zhang Jin chimed in.

Zhang Cheng puffed on his pipe in silence on hearing his son.

Zhang Jin's mother snorted, "That Grandma Lu, I guarantee you she will play dumb and act like she doesn't owe us a penny."

Zhang Cheng cast a glimpse at his wife and said, "What nonsense are you talking about? The Lus have so many mus of farmland, no way will they deny that they owe us 2 taels of silver."

"Let's wait and see." Zhang Jin's mother said coldly, then he changed the subject, "Lu Cheng Yu's bride is not even as pretty as our village girls, I don't know why he married Li Fang Yue."

"The bride is the Secretary-General's sister-in-law, there's a difference." Replied Zhang Cheng.

Zhang Jin's mother rolled his eyes and snorted, "A big difference, she is lazy like the rest of the Lus. I can't wait to see how this turns out."

Zhang Cheng shot a waring look at his wife, "Watch it!"

Zhang Jin thought, 'Mother is right though. It used to be Lu Lin and his dead mother who did all the farm work and the house chores, now even Grandma Lu and Grandpa Lu have to work because the youngsters at home are so lazy.'

The talk about Lu Cheng Yu's wedding ceremony was soon replaced by Lu Tong's wedding ceremony.

Lu Tong's husband Li Ji dispensed with all unnecessary formalities because this was his second marriage and he didn't care about the ostentation any more. The Lus didn't prepare much dowry for Lu Tong on the excuse of short of money.

Some drama happened on Lu Tong's wedding night.

Li Ji's son cried and went to the bridal chamber to look for Li Ji, and there went Lu Tong's wedding night.

Lu Lin and Chen Xiao Mi went to town again to sell another batch of sweet potato wine.

Lu Lin heard some drunkard giving an impassioned speech in the restaurant when Manager Wang went to get him the money, Lu Lin stole a glance at the man, it was Li Fang Yue's elder brother Li Hong.

Li Hong and his friends were gesticulating wildly as they were talking.

Lu Lin had asked about Li Fang Yue from Manager Wang, therefore Manager Wang knew Lu Lin's cousin married Li Fang Yue.

Manager Wang smiled and said, "Li Hong has become a regular to my restaurant since Li Fang Yue got married."

Lu Lin's lips twitched, he had heard that Li Fang Yue had only brought 5 taels of silver as her dowry, now it looked like it was Li Hong who had got the majority of the betrothal present.

Lu Lin and Chen Xiao Mi took a seat and eavesdropped for a while.

It looked like Li Hong was the host, so the guests all fawned upon on him.

A guest had talked about Li Fang Yue's wedding, he spoke highly of Lu Cheng Yu for offering such a handsome amount of betrothal present.

Li Hong talked about Lu Cheng Yu with disdain, he said Lu Cheng Yu was just a villager, a peasant who couldn't change his fate even though he became a Xiucai one day, he was born of humble origins and that would never change.