Chapter 40

Chapter 40: Wild Berries Picking

The kids who were confined at home started to gambol in the village as soon as it got warm, they loved to do their little adventures in the mountain too, they dared not go into the deep mountains, but they enjoyed exploring the outer circle of the mountains.

Mushrooms, bamboo shoots, wild vegetables, the kids loved to collect them.

Most villagers didn't have enough food in winter, including the kids. So the kids were more than happy to collect anything they cold eat from the muntains.

Chen Xiao Cai and Chen Xiao Mai were exceptions, the two boys grew taller and prettier thanks to Lu Lin's amazing cooking in this winter.

Lu Lin this day made some fried beans for them and handed them several bamboo baskets, "Cai, Mai, would you guys like to invite your little friends to pick some wild berries from the mountain? I will pay 3 cents for each basket."

Chen Xiao Cai frowned, "3 cents is a lot."

Lu Lin smiled, "It's okay."

Chen Xiao Cai scratched his head and said, "But they don't like to play with me, I don't think I can find anyone."

Lu Lin pulled a long face on purpose, "Cai, you are a big boy now, you can do it. You can ask Shen Chi to invite some friends with you."

Chen Xiao Cai turned red, he nodded, "I think I can do it."

Lu Lin handed about a dozen small baskets to Chen Xiao Cai.

"Why do we have so many small baskets at home?" Chen Xiao Cai asked.

The small baskets looked rather exquisite, but they were suitable for decorative purpose but unsuitable for utility.

"I asked some elders in the village to weave these baskets for us, 5 cents each." Lu Lin replied.

Lu Lin found that such a good deal, cheap workmanship, Lu Lin was glad that the villagers were simple and honest in that sense.

Chen Xiao Cai judged Lu Lin a little at heart, but he didn't say anything, he was used to Lu Lin's 'extravagant' lifestyle already.

"Okay, I'm going now."

"Good luck, kiddo." Lu Lin waved his goodbye.

Chen Xiao Cai went to talk to Shen Chi, Granny Shen liked the idea, so she gave Shen Chi her permission.

Shen Chi held a small basket in hand and asked Chen Xiao Cai, "But why does Lin Gege want wild berries?"

Chen Xiao Cai shook his head, "No idea, to brew wine maybe?"

"To brew wine?" a touch of admiration flashed across Shen Chi's eyes, brewing wine was a wonderful skill in that time and space.

It was getting warmer and warmer, there were a lot of berries in the mountains, kids loved to pick the sour and sweet berries.

Zhang Da Hu now was sitting on a tree, enjoying the berries he had just picked, his ten fingers had all turned red due to the juice.

Zhang Da Hu jumped off from the tree when he saw Chen Xiao Cai, Chen Xiao Mai and Shen Chi walking towards the mountain with a dozen of small baskets, he blocked their way and asked, "What are you doing with these tiny baskets?"

Zhang Da Hu saw the new outfits Chen Xiao Cai and Chen Xiao Mai were wearing, he was a bit jealous.

Chen Xiao Cai raised the baskets in hand and said, "My brother-in-law asks me to pick berries, he pays me 3 cents for each basket."

Zhang Da Hu saw the baskets in Shen Chi's hand and asked, "Are you helping him?"

Shen Chi nodded, "Yes, there are too many baskets here, Lin Gege will pay me 3 cents for each basket too."