Chapter 122

Chapter 122: Award Silver from the Imperial Court

The winter days were a little boring. Since Chen Xiao Mi was pregnant, Lu Lin had forbidden Chen Xiao Mi from doing heavy work.

In quiet and cold winter, Chen Xiao Mi's greatest pleasure was counting silver. He held their saving pot and counted the silver ingots and coins inside.

"Hmm, there's less money in this pot now!" Chen Xiao Mi said.

Lu Lin nodded and said, "The basic necessities of life are not cheap. My salary is three tales per month and we don't have any other income other than the tofu shop! And we need to pay our employees on time." Lu Lin raised his head and thought to himself, 'Time has changed, I need to be responsible for other people's living. I really need to work hard!'

Chen Xiao Mi shook his head and said, "I didn't expect becoming an official would be this costly."

" I've spent a lot of money on hiring craftsmen recently. We are going to make some money after we sell some curved iron ploughs."

Lu Lin rubbed his chin and pondered it for a while. During this period of time, he had been spending money. Even though every sum seemed to be rather small, it all added up, he had spent more than 100 tales of silver already.

Chen Xiao Mi frowned and said, "I'm afraid that not many people in Sha County can afford this plough."

Furthermore, the plough is a farm tool and the farmers were not exactly wealthy people. They couldn't price out of the market.

Lu Lin replied thoughtfully, "If the plough doesn't sell in Sha County, we can always explore the market in the neighboring counties. Are you afraid that we aren't able to sell such good things?" Besides, Ji Cheng Kang said we might be awarded with a handsome amount of silver. I don't know how much it will be, hopefully the Emperor was generous and award us a few thousand taels of silver, haha, how great would that be! We can retire and enjoy life after that!"

Chen Xiao Mi looked at Lu Lin with a doting smile and said, "Yeah, dream on!"

Lu Lin made a face.

It was said that the Emperor was rather stingy. Therefore, Chen Xiao Mi called Lu Lin daydreaming.

But on second thought, Chen Xiao Mi added, "Maybe your dream will come true, we are talking about the emperor, it's going to be embarrassing for him if he doesn't give us a handsome award."

Lu Lin nodded and said, "I hope that's the case, we can certainly use some more money at this stage. A lean camel is bigger than a horse, and we are talking about the emperor."

It took the messenger a lot of time to send the plough to the capital because of the long journey, and the emperor personally went to see the demonstration of the "trolley" ploughing the fields, the emperor was overjoyed. He felt that this was a sign of the prosperity of the country. His Majesty praised the Ji family who had reported this and ordered the Ministry of Works to make mass production so they could popularize this tool for spring ploughing season.

Seeing the situation, the officials fawned upon on the emperor by saying it was due to His Majesty's virtue and wisdom that Heaven had enlightened the military camp to develop the 'trolley'.

Lu Lin was overjoyed to receive the commendation and the reward of 2,000 taels silver from the Imperial Court.

Lu Lin originally thought that he couldn't get any extra income from being an official. But he felt the prospect of his official career was quite promising when he held the silver in hand.

Ji Cheng Kang said embarrassedly, "The Emperor's reward was originally more than two thousand taels, but there isn't so much left from all the corruption from the higher-up officials."