Chapter 25: Numb

3 Months later

Its now April. Im currently in my childhood bedroom wearing an all black outfit waiting to leave to go to my dads funeral.

He died on 4/12/22 from his short battle with cancer. Ive never felt this numb. It feels as though a huge part of me has been ripped away from me and thrown into an abyss so that way I'll never get it back.

I heard a soft knock at my bedroom door and it was Colby with Keeley behind him.

"Come on, Its time to go." Colby said softly taking my hand in his. We left to go outside and my mom was in her car. We all squished into her 5 seater car. My brother was in the front seat and I was sat in the back middle seat.

I didnt know how to feel. My dad was gone. The only father figure I've had in my life was gone.

forever

————————

We were now in the church hearing people make speeches about my father. It was my turn next. I had a small piece of paper to remind me of moments to talk about.

The current person talking was my dads bestfriend Joe. Joe was a good man, He had problems with drugs in the past until he found my dad, my dad helped him get off of them and offered him support.

This was not how I wanted 2022 to go.

"Okay, Eden your up next." My mom whispers into my ear.

I stood up and walked over to the podium.

I looked at my fathers casket with the colourful flowers on top.

Shit this was so hard.

"My dad, How can I describe him? He was such a loving and accepting man. He didnt deserve to die this way. Nobody does. Nobody deserves to know how long they have left in this world." I sniffled. "Though hes no longer in this world to protect his family he will always be by our sides.  I remember a time when I was about 6 years old, I was helping him build a birds house for the back yard, By helping I mean clinging to his leg while he hammered nails into the wood. I remember him handing me the hammer and I accidentally dropped it on my foot and started screaming and crying hysterically. He was there to calm me down. He took me inside to get ice cream to stop me from crying." I laugh lowly. " Overall he was a good man, He still is a good man even in death. Im thankful for all the people who showed up today. It shows how much my dad had an impact in all of our lives. I'll miss your forever and always dad."

I walked off of the podium and watched as a curtain closed around my dads casket.

I sat down back next to Colby and my mom.

"That was beautifully said Eden." My mom said to me.

———————

We left the church and thanked everybody for coming to my dads funeral.

My mom was sobbing while shaking everybodys hands.

I felt bad for her. Her lover for over 30 years has died and theres nothing she can do about it except mourning his death.

Colby held my hand as we walked back to the car. We sat down in the car for a few moments just in silence.

A tear rolled down my cheek and I didnt even notice.

I didnt even know I was crying.

Colby squeezed my hand tighter to show that he was still here for me.

I looked to him and he pulled his other hand up to wipe my tears that were streaming down my face.

I rested my head on his shoulder while my mom, Liam and Keeley all got into the car.

I dont know how Im going to carry on like this, without my dad.

You always look at somebody whose got major shit going on in their life and you think

Never me

Sometimes fate has a different path for all of us weather we like it or not. Its bound to happen one way or another. Theres nothing we can do about it.

Authors note:

If your ever going though shit and you just need somebody to talk to im always here, I might not read them and respond but my dms on wattpad are always open for anybody to talk about literally anything.

Your never alone ily.