✗ forty nine ✗

⚊ chapter forty nine

The sun was setting beyond the roof of Chenle's olympic pool. All the color leeched from the sky as day turned into night. His parents lit up the vintage lanterns around the columns, and we gathered around the large table full of food, chatting over the loud music from the bar in the corner.

It was much warmer from the first party I've been in, making me even more excited for semestral break.

I gave Rei a ride on the way to the birthday's party since Dongpyo would be coming with the boys, and I told her I have no plan in drinking today even though it was only a small gathering for Chenle's friends from school.

While they picked drinks from the bar served by the birthday boy himself, I scanned the pool side but I was unlucky.

They were not here yet.

Nishimura Riki isn't here yet is what I meant.

"This is going to be fun", Rei said, cracking open a bottle of soju, "We should get more break from the stress of school"

Chenle laughed, "We can go somewhere this break. Like on our vacation house at Jeju"

They high-fived, "Perfect. It's a plan"

Chenle peered over my shoulder and waved excitedly. I froze, suddenly nervous about turning around and seeing who he was greeting. It took seconds for the few people here in their chatter to grow louder, then cheering and clapping broke out from the direction of their driveway in the very back of their property.

I spun around and watched the whole group of Nishimura Riki parade onto the poolside with broad grins on their faces, accompanied by three girls, two familiar ones from our school and one I only recognized from Sunhee's party last year, the one I heard is Park Jay's girlfriend.

Jungwon, Sunoo and Sunhee were running ahead of them, and the others like Sunghoon and Jake were trailing behind after the couples as they brought a cooler or gifts for Chenle.

Shit. Ni-ki looked more attracted than ever tonight!

He wore a sleeveless shirt covered by a see through sweater and only shorts at the bottom. He rubbed the back of his neck, smiling ear to ear as his friends began to tease him upon seeing me looking at their direction. Sunhee, on the other hand, is already making way for me, bringing the other girls with her.

And I may have to apologize to her in advance for I can't take my eyes off the baby monkey.

Have you ever just watched someone move or talk or laugh? And you're like 'wow' how the fuck is everything you do is so hot.

I felt incredibly silly for realizing how I wanted him along all this time.

He tipped his head at the people and threw a hand up for the others to stop teasing him, yet continued walking closer and closer. Oh shit, he was coming towards me.

I'm not calm at all. What the hell, Park Minji? Get ahold of yourself!

The rest of his friends stopped by to greet Chenle by the bar counter. Jay shared a moment with his girlfriend Cha Eunjoo as he took her in his arms and gave her the most extensive kiss I had ever seen in the public like this. Boy, that guy surely was addicted to kiss her even though Jungwon is already shouting for him to stop.

Heeseung said hello to me then turned to Sunhee who was happily pointing now to the pool. It was kind of cute how she brought herself one of those kiddie tubes in the design of Minions. Her boyfriend wasn't even the bit least fazed by her childishness.

If anything, I would say Lee Heeseung is more than happy to encourage her on her usual antics.

The smile on his face was nothing but if not full of adoration for Kim Sunhee.