Setback

|Asher's POV|

I was home, watching Monday Night Raw waiting for Vaughn, or should I say, Evie, to come out. She had her match near the third hour. That simply meant she was a top star to get that prime TV time. Raw was in Atlanta tonight. I had to fly out the next day to Cali for a photoshoot with Nike before heading to Cleveland for AEW. So, I wouldn't be seeing her again until at least Thursday.

I had been talking to Murphy about my next step. I was ready to be a free agent. My contract would be up by the year's end and wherever I landed next is where I preferred to retire. My time in AEW was great, but I didn't plan on re-signing. I had interest in going back overseas, but most were expecting me to sign with WWE. Maybe just maybe.

I heard V's entrance music. I then saw her getting attacked. What the hell was going on? Her being a heel, she was usually the attacker. Clearly there was a change of plans. As it went to commercial, I got a call from Ms. Stephanie.

Hey, ma.

These past 7 years, Ms. Stephanie and Mr. Paul have become parents to me. They've always checked in, ask how I'm doing. I've built a relationship with them outside of my relationship with Vaughn which I'm so appreciative for. Little does everyone know, soon enough they'll be my in-laws.

I've always been searching for the right time to propose to Vaughn. A lot of my hesitation had to do with me not being financially where I wanted to be. Now that I have a life outside of wrestling and Murphy keeps bringing me in these 6 figure deals, I feel comfortable enough to provide and start a family with Vaughn. We've talked about it and she wants to wait a few more years before then. WrestleMania weekend, I was planning a proposal. I already had Mr. Paul's approval, no one knew when. That I would keep to myself. I wanted to catch her off guard.

Hey sweetheart. How are you?

Good. I can't say the same about Vaughn at the moment.

Yeah, that's what I'm calling you about. She got some news today that I'll let her tell you for herself. She's upset about it.

Can you give me some context?

She's being written off TV for a while. She's pissed about it.

For her to be written off TV with how amazing she's been, it must be something serious. I know she wouldn't violate the Wellness policy, so I figure she could be fighting an injury.

She's injured, isn't she?

Yeah, she is. I'll let her go into full details about it. She was pulled as a precaution, but she doesn't see it that way.

I'll talk to her.

I have no idea where she's going tonight. She just went to the trainers to get checked and is refusing to talk to me. Paul tried as well, nothing.

I heard my phone beep.

This is her now. I'll call you later, ma.

Okay. Love you, Ash.

Love you, too.

I answered the FaceTime call to see tears running down my girlfriends face.

Ash...

Hey, babe.

Did you see?

I did.

Why is this happening Ash? I've worked my ass off and now this?

The last time she called me crying like this was when everything went left in TNA. The fact that she's in this shape again, my heart hurt for her. I know she was reluctant to go to WWE, but now that she's there and the fans love her. It's been a hell of a ride. I knew she wouldn't take a setback, of any kind, well.