Study Buddy

|Logan's POV|

The school day went by fine. Near the end of the day, I had a free period. I talked to all my teachers and apologized for my lack of focus and attendance these past few weeks. I had to show my parents I was making an effort. I also spoke with my guidance counselor and she said if I passed my finals, my GPA wouldn't be affected. I had a 3.75.

My parents have never pressured me about my grades. I've always done my homework without their help. Sometimes I just get lazy. I wouldn't say I'm bored with the work because it's not all that easy. I just don't feel like doing it. So for them, a drop in my grades has always been an indicator that I'm slacking off. They don't expect perfection, but they do expect me to try.

I went outside to study when I saw Erica with a stack of textbooks, as usual. Her friends were nearby, talking and laughing. She was zoned in and hadn't even noticed I sat down next to her.

"Hey, Erica," I said, getting her attention.

She looked up and smiled.

"What's up, Logan?"

I felt her friends looking over at us, but they didn't say anything.

"Came to see what you were up to."

She laughed.

"Right. It's obvious I'm studying. For one, the AP tests are coming up and we have that Pre-Calculus final too. Have you studied for anything?"

"I don't usually study," I mumbled.

It was true. I've winged my way through high school. I pay attention to what the teachers say, do the homework, and somehow I just remember.

"Lucky you. I wish school came that easy for me."

"You're one of the top 10 students in our class."

"So are you," she quickly countered.

I shrugged.

"Mmm. Anyways, you need help?"

"How can you help me if you haven't shown up to class?" she quizzed.

"I have my method. I've never failed a test."

"Surprisingly," she said, sarcastically.

"I have to review some of this stuff anyways so I don't fuck up on these finals. My parents found out I was skipping class and I have plans this Summer. If I ace these tests, they won't be on my back and I can for sure go."

"What are your plans?"

"I'm going to Florida and I'll be working and training with my uncle."

"You really take this football stuff seriously."

"I do. It's what I'm used to. I come from a family of you're all in or not at all. Don't half ass your craft. I thought about what you said earlier. You know, the whole backup plan thing."

"Yeah, what about it?"

"I've never thought of my life outside of football and wrestling."

She nodded.

"I get it. Sucks, we have to make a decision on what we're supposed to do for the rest of our lives at 18. It's not realistic."

"Not at all. My parents aren't pressuring me, which I know makes it easy for me. Not everyone has parents like that."

"Not at all. My dad is expecting me to be pre-med or something. I like to draw and I'm all for DIY. He tries to fix things in the house, but I'm the one that really does all the work. My uncle is an electrician. My dad just wants me to do more."