Telling Dad

|Sasha's POV|

After Matteo left, it was just me and Melly. I showered and changed and did my homework so that would be one less thing they asked. I hadn't spoken to my dad since yesterday at my grandparents. I didn't call him back like he told me to. That wouldn't matter now that I was in trouble for throwing a party. My dad was going to be pissed.

"Sasha!"

I went in the direction of Melissa's voice. She was folding laundry.

"Yes?"

She motioned for me to come into their bedroom.

"You do your homework?"

"Mmm hmm."

"Alright. Your father is on his way home."

"Did you tell him what happened?"

"No."

"What about Uncle Tatum?"

"I asked him not to tell him."

I let out a sigh of relief. Maybe she really was going to handle this herself and we could just keep it between us.

"You're going to tell him. He checks the cameras pretty regularly so he might have seen people coming in and out of the house. Just be upfront with him about what happened," she commented.

There goes my heart dropping again.

"Melly..."

"I don't keep secrets from your father and this party you threw with your cousins isn't going to be the beginning of that."

"Please..."

She sighed and motioned for me to sit down.

"Sasha, I love you so much. You know that right?"

I nodded.

"I love you too, Melly."

"I wanted to talk to you alone before your father got here, which is one of the reasons I came home early. What you said earlier about me running to your father instead of handling things with you was true. I've never wanted to overstep my boundaries or replace your mother."

I rolled my eyes at her comment. My mother didn't exist to me.

"You know, she has a whole new family."

"What? How do you know that?"

"I found her online. She has a pretty big job now as a CEO of a tech company in Georgia. I looked to see if she had social media and there she was. She has a husband and two boys."

She pulled me closer to her.

"Have you told your dad about this?"

"No."

"Want to talk more about it?"

"At first I was sad, then I got angry. She and my dad didn't have to stay together. They could've coparented. She's moved on like I don't exist. No birthday cards or anything."

"Do you want to have a relationship with her?"

I shrugged.

"Why should I? She's already broken me once. I can't let her do that again. I have my dad and now I have you."

She kissed my forehead.

"You'll always have me, no matter what. "I know that you want more from me and in the five years of me being in your life consistently, two years as your stepmother, I haven't had the motherly touch. I apologize for not stepping up sooner. This is new for the both of us. I want to be in your corner and be an ally for you, but I have to parent you as well."