Not Just You

|Asher's POV|

Getting to the hotel, I checked in with the front desk to get my key. I felt like the elevator took forever to get to the 6th floor. I felt my heart beating out of my chest as I waited. I needed to get to my wife.

I sped walk down the hall, unlocking the door. It was quiet. Walking in, I saw she was sleeping. Jamie smiled when she saw me, getting up and giving me a hug.

"Hey Ash," she whispered.

"Hey, J. How is she?"

"Aside from trying to push everyone away, I'd say she's fine."

"I heard her coughing and choking on the phone. I called Quinn so someone could get to her. I should've got the flight with her."

"Don't beat yourself up about it."

"Could this have been prevented? Could I have done more?"

She shook her head.

"From personal experience, there's nothing more either of you could have done. Vaughn is in tip top shape. With miscarriages, sometimes there's no answer."

I nodded and looked over at my sleeping wife.

"You know, I was really excited for us to be starting a family of our own."

"We have that in common. Don't get me wrong, I love the family I gained, but..."

"It's different."

"Exactly. You two can always try again. This isn't the end. Look at me and my 3."

"Did you ever forget?"

She looked at me confused before it clicked in her brain what I was asking.

"I'll never forget the first time I was pregnant. I heard the baby's heartbeat and everything then one day, nothing. I'm glad you and Vaughn didn't have to go through that. I'll give you two some privacy. I'm staying here tonight, a floor up. The family has been notified of what's going on."

I nodded.

"Ma texted me."

"I also made her an appointment tomorrow for 8am just to get everything checked out before you guys head home. Then you can follow-up with her regular doctor."

"Thanks, J. I appreciate it so much. You didn't have to drop everything."

"You're not new to this family anymore. This is what we do."

She gave me another hug before leaving. I went and changed while Vaughn was still sleeping. When I came out, I saw her stirring and whining. I went and climbed in bed with her, pulling her to me.

"Ash..."

"I'm right here, babe."

I felt her relax in my arms before turning to me and putting her head in my chest.

"You're here," she whispered.

"I am."

"What about work? You should..."

"Shhh. The only thing I should be doing is being with you right now. Nothing else matters."

The rest of the night, I held her as she cried off and on. It took some convincing, but I finally got her to eat. Quinn stopped by after the show to check on her as did my in-laws. I left Vaughn with her mom as I stepped outside to talk to Mr. Paul.

"I'm giving the both of you some time off. I know she's going to hate it, but I just want to give her some time to recover."

"Thanks. She's going to fight me to get back to work. If she could work tonight, she would."