The Final Count Down

Abby was elated that her mother finally had left her father and came to Massachusetts. She had settled nicely in the studio apartment above the bakery, and she had taken the job that was offered to her making coffee for the customers and ringing up their orders. It didn't pay much, but it was just enough to get by, and the landlord took a liking to her and lowered the rent for the furnished studio.

"Mom I'm so happy for you!" Abby said, "it is so nice to have you near me especially since I'm about to give birth to your first grandchild."

Mrs. Olsteen smiled and gave a huge hug to her daughter, "I can't wait to become a grandmother," she said warmly, "you have made me so very happy."

Although Mrs. Olsteen was very surprised that Abby was married and preparing to give birth to her first grandchild, she was also elated that she was here for the special event.

"How's working in the bakery shop?" Claire asked.

"I love it," Mrs. Olsteen admitted, "it is easy and a lot of fun, I get to meet so many nice people!"

"Well we will have to find you a nice rich man," Claire laughed, "and I heard there are plenty of those to go around!"

Mrs. Olsteen shyly looked away, and Abby and Claire looked at each other suspiciously, "Mom!" Abby who had jumped off her seat and walked around the table to stand in front of her mother with her hands on her hips asked, "what are you not telling us!"

Turning fifty shades of red, Mrs. Olsteen said, "Well I've already met someone and he is taking me on a date, tonight actually."

Abby amd Claire looked at each other and then screamed with delight, "Who is this man, what is his name, what does he do for a living and how did you meet him!" Abby demanded, "for heavens sakes mother you just got here a week ago!"

Mrs. Olsteen blushed and her eyes dropped to her feet, embarrassed by her admission, she kept silent.

"Mom it's ok, I wasn't scolding you," Abby explained, "you of all people deserve to be happy, you've had twenty years of abuse both mentally and physically, he cheated on you throughout the entire marriage, he gave all our money away to his mistresses, and you had to support us by working two and sometimes three jobs, and then there was what he did to me! The best thing you could have done is leave him, and it was about time you did!"

"I should have taken you and left years ago," Jennifer admitted to her daughter, "by not having the guts to leave him you suffered for my mistakes and I am deeply sorry for that."

Throwing her arms around her mother, Abby cried, "No mother, please don't blame yourself, father was a monster. You did the best you could under the circumstances, but now you have freed yourself from him and you will finally live!"

Claire who stood quietly until mother and daughter said their peace finally stepped in and said excitedly, "We need to take your mother to the Salon down the street, she needs a hair cut and style, a manicure and pedicure, there is also a boutique down the street that sells beautiful clothes, I want your mother to look like a million dollars tonight!" Claire beamed, then added, "not that you don't already look beautiful already, but a little touch up is going to make you feel better too!"

The girls were excited as they pushed Mrs. Olsteen out the door, and although she insisted she didn't need a make over, the girls would not hear of it. They dragged her to the salon, she got her hair cut and styled, they gave her a mani and pedi, and then they went a few doors down the street to the boutique where Claire spoiled her with a small trendy wardrobe that brought tears to Mrs. Olsteen eyes.

"I can't accept all this," Mrs. olsteen insisted, "I will have to pay you back a little every week!"

"Nonsense!" Claire waved her hand, "I owe you much more than this," Claire admitted, "for all the years you took care of me as if I was your daughter!"