Thoughts and Regrets

Abby was still sleeping peacefully when Jeff lifted himself off the bed. His eye caught the shiny object on the nightstand next to where Abby lay, and relief flooded him. The ruby ring Steven had given her was finally off her finger.

A smile curved his sculpted lips, as he quietly dressed and left the room closing the door softly behind him. He headed straight to Stephan's room to check on him and he found Claire holding the infant in her arms singing lullaby's too him.

"One day Claire you will make a wonderful mother!" He told her, "Godmother becomes you, Stephan is a lucky child!"

"No Jeff," she replied, "I'm the lucky one!"

When Jeff turned around and left the room, Claire followed after him, "Is everything ok?"

Jeff sat himself on the couch and placed his hands behind his neck, "I'm not sure, but I think we have reached another level in our relationship."

He looked content and Claire smiled, "I wish you all the best Jeff, you are a wonderful human being!"

Jeff looked at her and smiled, Claire was very beautiful, and she had a heart of gold, he thought, and wondered why he overlooked that fact during his high school years.

His silence and the way he looked at her unnerved Claire and she fidgeted with Stephan's baby blanket, as she held him in her arms.

"Are you still talking to Anthony?" Jeff asked.

Claire nodded, "he has asked me to marry him and I told him yes."

For some reason those words didn't sit well with Jeff and he shifted in his seat, and his eyes bore into hers, "Do you love him?"

"Of course I love him." Was her quick reply.

A little too quick, Jeff thought, "Aren't you rushing just a bit, I mean you both are still young and you're still in school!"

"I could say the same for you and Abby too," Claire pointed out, "both of you are too young to be married and playing house!"

Jeff shook his head, "Our situation is different, and you know it."

"Yeah well I love him and want to be his wife."

"You have a whole lifetime to make that decision Claire, why rush it?"

"And why do you care!" Claire asked, "I am madly in love with him and feel it's time to make it official, I wasn't about to turn down his marriage proposal Jeff, he is my life now."

A surge of jealousy speared through his heart, but Jeff ignored it, lifted himself off the couch, and reached for Stephan, "let me hold him now." He said, just to change the uncomfortable subject and shake the irritable feeling out of him. His life was with Abby and Stephan now.

***************"

"I'm going to marry her!" Anthony said happily, "I proposed and she accepted!"

Steven, Mary, Jacob and Carol looked at each other surprised.

"I love her!" Anthony beamed, "and don't want to spend life without her."

"So why are you rushing," Steven was the first to address the issue, "why don't you finish school first and then marry her?"

"Is she pregnant?" Carol asked.

"No she is not pregnant," Anthony clarified, "why do I need another reason besides loving her for us to get married?"

"Because you're too young to be thinking of getting married." Steven answered.

Anthony rolled his eyes, "Right I'm too young, but you are not!" Anthony said angrily, "you are a hypocrite and the last person I expected to hear those words from!"