Painfull Truths

On the entire flight Claire was crying, her head ached and her heart twisted with pain. She blamed herself for everything and was going crazy with the guilt that had wrapped around her heart.

She was tormented with the fact that she had to break off the relationship with Jeff, images of the way he looked at her at the airport tore her heart out, but it was deadly wrong what they were doing and the consequences were devastating. She should have stopped the affair before it even started, she thought, but she didn't have the will power to do so.

When the plane landed and she walked through the airport, her heart hammered against her chest, she was very nervous. Grabbing a taxi she instructed the cab driver to take her to Christ hospital. After paying the driver, Claire exited the cab and headed straight inside to the service area. The lady behind the desk gave her the room number where Anthony was, and Claire took the elevator up to the fifth floor.

Tears welled up in her eyes, how had her life taken this turn, she thought, what made her into this horrible person that she now was? A long time ago one would have said about her that she was a wonderful human being, but now she realized that she wasn't good at all, but horrible and selfish.

When she walked down the hallway and found the room she was looking for, she took a moment to gather her scattering thoughts before she pushed the door and entered the room.

Anthony was asleep and Steven sat by his side looking very worried and upset. When he noticed that Claire had walked in he stood from his chair and and threw Claire a disapproving stare.

"How is he?" Claire finally mustered up the strength to ask.

"He doing better," Steven said, "we almost lost him!"

With trembling lips, Claire asked, "What did the doctors say?"

"Enough with the small talk Claire," Steven told her, "I need to have a private talk with you out in the hallway!"

With those words said, Steven walked to the door and Claire followed after him. They went to a sitting area down the hall and sat down.  Claire braved herself for Steven's outburst knowing that he cared for Anthony like a brother.

"You almost killed my friend!" Steven got straight to the point, "because of you and your heartless ways, Anthony wanted to end his life!"

Throwing her face in her hands, Claire cried her heart out, "I never meant for any of this to happen." She said, "I love Anthony and ..."

"Stop it!" Steven yelled at her, "if you loved him you would not have tortured him!"

"I made a mistake!" Claire cried.

"This was not a mistake Claire," Steven corrected her, "you cheated on him with Abby's husband!"

"I know and I'm ashamed of myself!" Claire admitted, knowing that she would never be able to get over what she had done.

"He got lucky and didn't die this time, but what if he tries to end his life again, then what?"

"We could get him help," Claire said, "I will do whatever it takes to help him too."

Rolling his eyes, Steven fell back against his chair and closed his eyes, "You were the one that did this to him, you would be the last one to be able to help
him!"

"I swear to you Steven," Claire said with conviction, "I will fix this and make sure it won't happen again!"

Pulling himself up in a sitting position, Steven looked Claire in her face and asked, "And how do you propose to do that?"

"I will marry him today!" She said, "first I will apologize for everything, then I will tell
him how much I love him and then I will marry him!"

Steven threw his head back and laughed coldly, when he finally looked at her, his eyes were full of judgement, "I would not let you go anywhere near him let alone marry him!" Steven told her in a firm and unwavering tone of voice, "you are a selfish self serving bitch who cares about no one except herself!"