Forgive Me

Jeffs iPhone dropped from his grip and he clutched his heart and fell back against the wall. Abby immediately rushed forward and wrapped her arms around him.

"Jeff!" She cried, "what happened!"

"She's not coming back."

The words tore from his heart in a hoarse whisper, and he closed his eyes to release the pain.

"Jeff!" Abby begged, "please take a grip of yourself, this is not the end of the world!"

"I ...can't... live without....her...."

"Yes you can and you will be alright!" Abby insisted, "you are a strong and powerful man and will be fine!"

"No Abby!" Jeff pushed Abby away and raked his fingers through his thick mane of blonde hair, "I'm not letting her get away, I'm going to fight for her!"

Abby heart twisted, why hasn't Steven fought for her the way Jeff wants to fight for Claire, why didn't he do something to win her over, why had he left her to her fate?

"If you do that Jeff, Claire will reject you, she probably needs time to see things more clearly!"

"The longer she is with them, the more they will twist her thoughts and make her believe that she should be there and not here!" Jeff argued, "Claire is in love with me and not with Anthony! She is reacting out of guilt, and making all her decisions based on that!"

"Claire needs to do what she needs to do," Abby reasoned, "and if that means being with Anthony you must let her do it or else one day she will resent you!"

*************

Claire cried relentless, she struggled with Jeff's image that pierced through her mind and tore her heart to pieces. She loved that man with all her heart and it was pure torture to give him up, but she must do the right thing, or else there would be no peace in her heart.

"I have to go to confession." Claire said to herself, as she made her way back to the chapel after learning that the pastor would be there after lunch to pray for the sick amd suffering.

Slowly pushing the door to the chapel, she walked in the semi dark room and went straight to light a candle. She then glanced towards the alter and saw the priest standing there already in the middle of liturgy. There were a few people spread throughout the chapel.

Quietly Abby walked to one of the pew and sat herself down. Peace engulfed her as she closed her eyes and listened to the beautiful words that the priest was saying.

An hour later when the liturgy was finished and the people exited the small chapel, Claire made her way to the alter and asked the priest if she could make a confession.

The kind priest nodded and a rivulet of tears flooded her eyes, as she confessed her sins, and when she finished saying her peace, she felt somewhat better.

"Go in peace my child," the priest told her, "God forgives your sins when you ask with faith."

"Thank you." Claire said, and she lifted herself to her feet and left.

Wiping the tears from her eyes, she walked back to Anthony's room with peace in her heart. Jeff's image was erased from her mind on purpose, because it would be the only way to continue with her life. She would try her hardest to avoid any contact or thought of him, and try to focus all her attention only on Anthony.

****************

Ending the call with United airlines, Jeff refocused himself and went into his room to pack, but Abby who had followed right behind him wouldn't let him rest.