Bittersweet Moments

"I don't believe it!" Victoria laughed, "I guess the universe works in mysterious ways."

They laughed some more and then casually Victoria rested her hand on Steven's thigh and when she felt him stiffen, she Immediately pulled her hand away and said, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry it's ok," Steven told her, "you're a beautiful woman Victoria, it's not you it's me."

"Want to talk about it?" Victoria was curious and wanted to find out what could possibly be wrong with this gorgeous guy, but when Steven's eyes hazed with heavy emotion Victoria was quick to add, "never mind I didn't mean to upset you."

"I'm not upset," Steven explained, "it's just that I'm trying to forget someone and it's impossible to do so, her vision haunts me."

"I see," Victoria murmured, "who's the lucky woman?"

"Her name is Abby, she was a high school sweetheart."

Victoria noticed his voice getting thick with emotion and jealousy engulfed her, "She's a lucky woman, what happened?"

"She was in love with someone else." Even as the words came out of his mouth he felt the bitterness of them, "so she left me to marry him."

"Oh wow!" She was secretly glad that this other woman was married to someone else, "there are other fish in the sea Steven you don't have to pine over someone who doesn't want you, and for your information in case you haven't noticed, you are gorgeous and I'm sure you have a million secret admirer's out there."

"I'm not interested in anyone else, I love her." Steven admitted and failed to notice the disappointment in her eyes.

"That's because you haven't found the right one yet to win you over from her," Victoria told him, "but I promise you when you find that special someone you will forget about Abby and fall in love again."

"No," Steven said, "I already know that I will never love another in that way, she is my life."

We will see about that, she thought to herself, "Well then that doesn't mean we can't be friends!"

"Yes I would like that," Steven admitted, maybe they can even be friends with benefits, he thought, she's very beautiful and he wouldn't mind banging her. "and I think our parents will like it too."

When Steven then lifted himself to his feet to leave, Victoria's heart sank to the bottom of the pit, she wanted more time with him, but he was already headed towards the door.

"Let me give you my number Steven," Victoria said, "and you call me soon and we can go for lunch."

Pulling out his iPhone from his back pocket, Steven added her number to his contacts.

"Now tell me your number too so I can add you to my contacts too," she told him, not trusting that he would call he anytime soon.

Steven threw her a knowing smile and then dialed her number. When he ended the call, he said, "Now you have my number too."

Victoria watched as he walked out of her apartment and closed the door and her shoulders slumped, this wasn't what she had expected when she invited him over to her apartment, she had hoped that he would have at least tried to kiss her!

**************
Steven walked towards the hospital wanting to get to Anthony as soon as possible, because he hadn't visited him on this day yet and he worried for him. Fifteen minutes later, he took the elevator up to the fifth floor and hurried along to Anthony's room.