Chapter 17 - Off guard

Reyna's POV
We walked towards the Ferris wheel. We got on and sat across each other.
It was silent. The Ferris wheel stopped while we were up high and the view was amazing.
I took out my phone and stood up taking photos of this breathtaking view.

I could see the whole island from up here.
"Be careful reyna" he said and I just nodded and continued staring at the amazing view.
The Ferris wheel suddenly moved; making me lose balance and I fell on him. I was sitting on his lap with his arm tightly around me and our faces were inches away.

We stared at each other for a while. He suddenly cleared his throat. "Are you okay,? You could have gotten hurt"
was he scolding me right now?
"I'm okay," I said getting up and returning to my seat. I couldn't help but be a little upset.

We got off the ride and walked around the park. I stood by the rails, closed my eyes, and felt the cool breeze all over my body.
I heard clicking sounds. I turned around and saw Andre taking photos of me.

"I don't think you should be doing that," I said blocking my face.
"And why is that?"
"You're ambushing me by taking unaware pictures of me," I said laughing at my statement.

"Your unawares are cute you know. Take a look" he said coming closer. He wasn't wrong, the pictures were great.
"You've got good photography skills. I'll take pictures of you too" I said grabbing my phone.

"I'm not a picture person," he said trying to back out.
"I'm sorry hubby, but I won't take that from you" I closed my mouth realizing what I'd just said.

What am I spewing? Hubby? Really?

"Okay fine. But let's take selfies instead, together" he suggested.
"Hmm okay"
We took about ten selfies. " One more," he said
"I thought you weren't a picture person"
"Well.. let's just take it please"
"Okay. I'll count down from three. Three, two.."  as soon as I said one he placed a kiss on my cheek and I'd taken a picture of it. That caught me off, guard.

I turned crimson.

I walked ahead not wanting him to see my cheeks red right now.
"Wait up," he said but I didn't stop.
I saw children playing and a little boy caught my attention so I stopped walking.

"Why didn't you wait for me?" He asked catching up with me.
"Um... Andre that little boy is crying all by himself. Should we see what's wrong?" I asked him.

"Okay sure," he said.
"Hey, what's your name?" I asked him bending to his height. " Chris" he answered still crying.
"How old are you," I asked
"I'm 4 years old"
"Why are you crying?" He looked scared. He had every right to be, we're strangers to him.
"I can't find my mom," he said putting his face down. I looked up at Andre.

"We'll help you find your mom. Tell us when you last saw her and where" Andre said.
" By the merry-go-round. She took a phone call and I couldn't find her" he said crying.

"Dre, I think we should go back to the merry-go-round with him, his mom might have gone there looking for him," I said and he nodded in agreement.

Chris looked a bit reluctant to follow us but then he wiped his tears and slipped his hand into mine.
I was awestruck, I felt a surge of emotion. He shot me a smile. Holding his fragile, small, and warm hands in mine made me feel happy. Motherly hormones??

We got to the merry-go-round but we didn't find his mom. We waited for a little while.

"Chris!" We heard a voice say from behind.
"Mom," the little boy said running to her
"Who are you, people?" She asked

"We were just helping him find you"
"Yes mommy," he said
"Oh, thank you," she said
We just smiled and left.