Chapter 87 - Farewell

No one had heard from Andre, since he witnessed Mason's proposal and Amelia's acceptance. His phone number was unreachable, it was as if he'd gone off the radar. It had been a few weeks already.

"Amelia," Annie said calling to Amelia who was still trying to get through to Andre. Jasmine had been pestering her to call Andre all week, but she couldn't get across to him. She'd left a voicemail for him.
"Mom wants to see you, dad's in there too," Annie said.
"Just a minute and I'll be there," she said and Annie walked away.

"Where are you, Andre?" she muttered before walking into her mom's room. The kids were with Archie and Mason.
"Annie, Amelia, Fred, I feel like I haven't expressed how sorry I am. I know it's hard to forgive-"
"We forgive you," they all said with weak smiles on their faces.

"Thank you. I can die peacefully" Mrs Neil said causing them all to stare at her sadly.
"Don't say that. I'm getting married soon and you have to be there." Amelia said flashing her ring, with a faded smile on her face.
"I wish I could," she said squeezing Amelia's hands.
"Are you sure you're happy about your sudden engagement?" her mom asked causing her to break into an awkward chuckle.

Was she really happy?

"Of course I'm happy"
"You don't look happy dear. I just want you to make the right decision about your happiness" Mrs Neil said hugging Amelia.
"I'm just sad that you're sick, it has nothing to do with my engagement" she proceeded to convince her mom.

"I must confess, the past month that I've been hospitalized has been the best time of my life," Mrs.Neil said causing them to stare at her weirdly.
"It sounds absurd but having my husband, daughters, and grandchildren checking in on me; I couldn't be happier. You've all forgiven me too" she smiled weakly.

"Can I hug you all?" she said stretching wide her arms. She knew she didn't have much time left.
"Of course"
They said and hugged her.
"Take good care of each other as you've both been doing. I love you both and I wish you happiness" Mrs. Neil said and closed her eyes.

The monitor made a faint sound and flat-lined.
"Mom!!" They both yelled.
"Doctor!" Annie called out to the doctor and he walked in checked her pulse and stood back.

"On Tuesday, 7:05 the patient Mrs.Neil passed away," the doctor said. His expression was stiff.
"I'm so sorry for your loss," he said.
Some nurses came in to take the body to the morgue but Amelia wouldn't let them.

"Mom. You have to wake up, these people are planning to take you away. Mom?" Amelia cried. Annie pulled her away, locking her in a tight hug as they took their mom's body away.
"They can't do that. Annie, let go" she screamed trying to break free from Annie, but Annie held on tighter.
"Amelia, I'm here," she said gently stroking her hair.
"Annie, Mom is gone. She's really gone" she said relaxing into the hug. They remained like that for quite a while. Fred watched his daughters for a while before joining in on the hug.