Chapter 59 - Stranger..

Two hours earlier...
"Isn't she your friend?" He asked his nephew as he drove off the school ground heading towards the main gate when he spotted Jasmine walking by the sidewalk.
"No way uncle. She's not my friend, just a classmate" he quickly defended making Andre laugh.
"Okay, memo received. But why?"
"She's really annoying"
"And you're not?" He chuckled
"No" he pouted.
"Then you're naughty Ryan."
"Hm" he folded his arm and looked away.

"Okay fine. You're not, not naughty" he laughed again.
At this point Ryan was annoyed, he just kept quiet.
"Your friend-
"She's not my friend" he corrected.
"Got it. What's her name again?" He asked, Ryan had told him about her but he'd forgotten her name.
"Jasmine. Why do you keep talking about her?"
"Nothing, I'm just curious. She didn't take the school bus, is her mom or dad gonna pick her up?"
"She's taking extra classes, but the teacher didn't come today. She's gonna have to wait an extra hour before her aunt picks her up. I've only seen her mom pick her up twice."
"Okay." He said.
Something about the little girl gave him goosebumps. He was probably overthinking it.

"Mr. Andre, you're back?" The substitute teacher asked seeing him on school grounds after she'd seen him pick up Ryan half an hour ago.
"Yeah, Ryan forgot his backpack"
He'd only realized it after reaching home.
"Oh, how forgetful kids are these days" she found his bag laying by his desk. She handed it to Andre and he left.

He got to the gate and saw Jasmine seated on a rock. She just sat there idle.
He parked his car beside her. He got out and approached her.
"Hey Jasmine" he said crouching beside her.
She looked at him in a bizarre manner. He was a stranger after all.
"Do I know you, sir?" She asked.
"No. I'm Ryan's uncle and I noticed you've been out here for a pretty long time"
She didn't say a word.
"I bet Ryan told you my name"
"Yeah. He talks about you a lot and I thought you were friend"
"We're not friends"
he then realized the feelings were mutual.

"Where are your parents? Why hasn't anyone picked you up yet?"
"My mom's at work and my aunt will be here in an hour"
"I could drop you off?"
"No, thank you"
"Your mom did a good job teaching you not to indulge with strangers. Okay, I'll share a secret with you so we aren't strangers anymore. I won't be at peace with myself if I leave you here all by yourself"
She just nodded.

"When I was your age, no. I was older than you, I was thirteen. I was a middle schooler and I was waiting outside, just like you; for my driver. Just then a Mini van parked beside me. A scary looking man came down and said he was sent to pick me up. I didn't believe him, we had a lot of drivers but I'd never seen him before and I'd never been picked up in a van before. All of a sudden I blacked out. I was being kidnapped. When I opened my eyes I saw this girl, she-" he stuttered with shaky hands.

He held his hands tightly together before continuing.
It was a difficult and traumatizing memory for him. One that ruined his life.
"She was my best friend's sister. We were super close, every one thought we were siblings. Turns out she was kidnapped too. And then—
He paused to look at her, her attention had been fixed on him the whole time.

"Okay, young lady. That's enough story telling"
"C'mon that was a cliffhanger. I wanna know what happens next. Did you get rescued? Who fought the bad guys?" She was filled with curiosity.
"That's rated 13, it has lots of violent scenes. I don't want you having nightmares." He said to throw her off.
She just frowned. "Okay"
"Do you trust me now?"
"How am I sure you're not a kidnapper?"
"A kidnapper doesn't drive a Porsche, nor does he tell you half of his childhood trauma"
"Okay, fine. But, I'll go with you on one condition"
"Tell me"
"Your phone. I'll have 911 dialed on it and hold unto it just in case"
He laughed at how cute she was.
"That's smart. Deal"

He opened the back door seat for her and handed her his phone.
Just then her stomach growled.
"Should we get some ice cream on the way?"
"Yes, please"
He came to a stop at an ice cream shop.
He helped her out as they walked in.
"What flavor would you like?"
"Cookies and cream, please"
"Me too. You have a good taste in ice cream" he said placing in the order.
"My dad too. At least that's what my mom told me" she said with a frown.
"Why the sad face?"
"My mom barely talks about my dad"
"W-
"Here's your order" the waiter said, interrupting him.
They had ice cream and he dropped her off.
"Thanks for the ride, sir" she said before running to the porch. He smiled and drove away.

She reminded him so much of his ex wife..