Chapter 44 - A fresh start

Amelia and her daughter, Jasmine. Were back in Brooklyn, New York City. After so many years had passed.

"Mom," little Jasmine said tugging at the hem of Amelia's clothes.
"Yes, dear?" She asked
"Shouldn't we inform Aunt that we're here?" She said as they left the airport.
"No honey. Let's give her a surprise" she beamed with a smile at the thought of the shock on her sister's face.
"Okay mommy"

She got into a cab.

She was back in the country where her life had started and was almost ruined. The place only gave her scars and bad memories. The only good thing she had was her daughter and sister.

Looking at the city, for the first time in years was overwhelming. The place had changed so much in 5years, she had blurry memories of most of the bad things she went through.

Best to forget all the bad memories and remember all the good ones right?

"Mommy, are you crying?" Her daughter asked seeing as tears had formed in her mom's eyes.
"No honey, some dust just flew into my eye" she lied.

The cab arrived at her sister's house but it was so funny because she was trying to surprise her sister but she got the surprise instead.

It seemed like she was moving.
She got out of the cab with her daughter and paid the cab driver.
"Excuse me what's going on?" She questioned but no one answered her.
"Reyna?" Annie said from behind.
"Oh my, Annie" she carefully hugged Annie.
"I missed you so much"
"I missed you more. Let me guess, you wanted to surprise me?" She said and laughed.

"If you were an hour late, you would have met an empty house. Where's my little pumpkin?" Annie said shifting her gaze to Jasmine.

"Aunt," she said going in for a hug.
"You've grown so much."
"I wanted to facetime you this morning but mommy said it was a surprise," Jasmine said.

"I see. Norway did well for you Reyna. You're glowing" Annie complimented.
"Yeah and the name's Amelia, Amelia Jones" she corrected.

"um.. what's the difference? Amelia's still your middle name, the only thing that changed is your last name"

"Amelia is the refurbished Reyna. I'm different, I've matured" and they both laughed.
"Ma'am we're done loading," one of the movers said.
"Okay, we'll take the car don't worry about us" Annie replied.

"You should take it easy, you're almost due. Where's Archie when you need him?"
"I'm here," a voice said from behind. She shrieked.
"That scared the crap out of me," she said holding her chest.
"I didn't mean to crawl up on you. How have you been?"
"Well, good"
He moved over to kiss Annie. Amelia quickly covered Jasmine's eyes, with her hand.

"Quit the public displays of affection already"
She said and they both just smiled.
"Let's go, shall we?" Archie said and they all got seated as he took the wheels.
"Where are you moving to? and why?" Amelia asked as Archie drove.
"Manhattan. 'cause, we wanted to be together"
Archie answered.
"Okay?" Amelia said still confused.

"A fresh start for our baby boy," Annie concluded.

A fresh start was what everyone needed.

It took hours to set up the house.
"Annie, you should rest"
"I will, I just--
"Just nothing. Take a sit and I'll finish up" Amelia said.

After that, they all sat outside. On the patio, the night sky was beautiful, with the moon and stars shining bright; Creating a dim light.

"How's Mr. Jones?" Annie asked.
"Upset is an understatement" Amelia chuckled.
"He wasn't in support of me returning. He said 'why would you go back to a place that gave you nothing but scars? Jasmine's an exception of course. Can you not go back?'
Even when I told him that you were due, he didn't wanna let me leave. At a point, he said I should leave Jasmine behind but she wanted to come along. I feel bad about leaving him all by himself but I'm sure he'll understand" Amelia added.

"Poor, Mr. Jones. Have you called him?" Annie asked.
"No, I haven't"
" Why? You should let him know that you arrived safely, or else he'll be worried"
"I'll call him"
Archie was taking a call and he looked furious.
"Is everything okay?" Annie asked
"How can everything be okay?" He snapped.
He calmed himself,  he walked to where she sat and crouched beside her.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled. It's just... I've been assigned a case on the day of your delivery. And I was trying to explain that I can't be available, but it's not getting anywhere, the decision is rigid. I'm sorry" he said.
"It's fine, the baby's just gotta wait for you before he comes out," she said.

"I'll be right by her side, don't worry" Amelia assured him.
"Thank you," Archie answered.
Annie's delivery was due in three days.
A new family member would be born.

Q&A
Q: Who do you think Mr. Jones is?
A:...?