Chapter 82 - Jealousy

Mason hadn't heard from Amelia since she left but he trusted Annie to take care of her.
"Jasmine, do you want to go get ice cream?" He asked the little girl who beamed with excitement.
"Yes, please," she said doing a little spin.
He chuckled at her cuteness which reminded him of Amelia. She was a mini version of her mom, he thought. She smiled as brightly as the little girl too.

"Okay. Go grab your coat, it's cold outside" he said and she rushed up the stairs.
"Careful, Jasmine, or you'll hurt yourself," he said but she'd disappeared from his sight. He found himself smiling. He had never been good with children but that didn't seem to be the case with Jasmine -It came easy.

Just then the doorbell rang. He wondered who it was, Amelia couldn't have been back by now, they left an hour ago. He dragged himself off the couch and headed to the door. He opened it to see someone he had never wanted to ever cross paths with.

"What are you doing here, Andre?" He asked balling his hand into fists. Remembering his betrayal to him.
"I could ask you the same question, Mason. Why are you here?" Andre asked pissed that Mason was at Amelia's house. The thought that Amelia had called Mason over first, pissed him off.

"Leave while I'm being nice, Andre."
Before Andre could say a word he heard Jasmine's voice.
She sprinted down the hallway screaming excitedly "Daddy!" She smiled before running into his arms. Andre twirled her around and kissed her forehead.
"There's my little princess" he smiled and let himself into the house with Jasmine still in his arms. Mason was seething with anger, Andre had just barged in and stole the little girl's attention from him. He stole her mom and now her from him.

Are you jealous? His subconscious nagged at him and he shook it off feigning ignorance.
"Jasmine, let's go," Mason said in a reminder of their little ice cream date.
"Okay. Daddy, will you come with?" She asked pouting.
"I'm sure he's busy"Mason chipped in. In an attempt to make Andre leave but Andre was determined to stay and frustrate Mason.
"Of course sweetie. Where are we going?" Andre grinned at Mason. He knew what he did had a huge effect on Mason. It annoyed him a little that Mason had planned a date with his daughter whom he'd just reunited with.
He was gonna make Mason the third wheel, no matter what.

He carried Jasmine in his arms and strolled past Mason, heading towards his car, Mason had driven there but he wanted to annoy him.
"You should drive Mason, I want to sit with Jasmine in the backseat. I hope you don't mind" Andre said, tossing his car keys to Mason who caught them, shocked at his sudden reflex.

"It's your car, so drive," Mason said and tossed the key at Andre- who caught it. He smirked knowing Mason was frustrated but he wouldn't stop. If he had to be a jerk, he'd stick with it till the end.
"No, you drive"
"You drive"
They both kept bickering about who was driving and kept tossing the key around like it was a tennis ball.

Jasmine chuckled thinking they were both playing an adult game called "You Drive"
"I'll drive," the oblivious little girl said smiling brightly. The two stopped themselves, realizing how childish they were being.

"You can't drive Jasmine," Mason said poking her nose and she giggled. She reached for him to carry her but Andre held her back. His grip around her tightened not wanting to let go of her. She winced in pain.
"Daddy, you're hurting me" she sobbed.
His grip lessened and Mason took her in his arms. Trying his best to console her.

Andre stared down at his hands, he'd just hurt his daughter. How? He wondered. He took some step back and then realization dawned on him; how dangerous he was to everyone around him even without thinking of causing harm.

"I'll... Drive" he stuttered grabbing the keys from Mason. He got into his seat, pulling the seatbelt across him, still lost in thought before fastening it. He inserted the key and the engine roared to life. He drove out of the curb and into the road.

The memory of him hurting his daughter kept playing in his head and he found it hard to concentrate on his driving. Worse he didn't know where they were headed.
"W-where are we going?" he asked staring at Mason through the rearview mirror.
"An ice cream parlor" Mason responded but his eyes never left Jasmine.

Andre drove in silence and finally came to a stop at an ice cream parlor.
They got off the car and walked into the ice cream parlor; Andre kept his distance from Jasmine for fear of harming her again. But the little girl had long forgotten about it.

"I'll get the chocolate chip ice cream," Mason said to the waiter as he jotted it down on his notepad.

"What would you have?" he said staring at both Andre and Jasmine.
"Cookies and cream, ice cream," they both said in unison.
"Jinx" Jasmine giggled holding Andre's hand in her little palm. He stared at her, feeling his insides melt at her cuteness.
He didn't say a word, he'd been jinxed until someone said his name and he didn't have to wait long. Mason who had been watching their little exchange, scoffed.

"Andre.."
"You freed Daddy" Jasmine smiled.
"Did you seriously tell her to order what you wanted to piss me off?" Mason said without hesitation.
"What are you talking about? She was with you all the ride here and I didn't even know we were coming here in the first place. It's no surprise we share similar tastes, after all, she's my daughter" Andre smiled at Jasmine.

They all ate their ice cream in silence before returning to Amelia's house. As usual, the ride back was silent. Jasmine had fallen asleep also.
Mason carried her in his arms and gently laid her on the bed, patting her gently so as not to wake her up.

He returned downstairs but before he could say a word to Andre. The doorbell rang and he knew who it was. He made haste for the door and opened it to see Amelia crying.
"Heyy.." he said calmly.
"Nothing is going as planned... It's all fallen apart. Why?" she cried and Mason pulled her into a hug. She weakly wrapped her arms around him, crying on his shoulder. She felt warmth from him as usual and she relaxed into his embrace.

Andre was jealous, he was glaring at Mason. He was jealous that Mason knew why Amelia was in that state and he didn't. Also, Mason could console her but Amelia would never let him get into such proximity with her. His situation was helpless- he thought to himself.
He wondered what was going on but he couldn't ask. He'd never felt like an intruder until now. He got up and walked past them, heading outside. Amelia didn't even notice him walk past her.

"Andre?"
He heard someone call out to him. He wished it was Amelia when he turned around but he knew better.
"What are you doing here? I thought you couldn't make it" Annie asked.
"Oh, yeah but I came as fast as I could. Figures, Mason beat me to it" Andre said all his words slowly without much emotion.
She patted his shoulder and made her way in but Andre called to her before she grabbed the door handle.

"I don't mean to pry but..." he paused.
"What's going on with Amelia? Is she okay" he asked, worry draining from his voice.
"Obviously, she's not. I don't wanna talk about it and least of all with you. If Amelia wants to let you know she will. If not stay out of it." Annie said and walked off before he could say more. She'd had a rough day, one she'd never wished to have.

Everyone seemed to be going through something. Some, are worse than others.