Chapter 47 - Lies

She picked up her phone from the kitchen counter and called him. She's been procrastinating since, if she didn't call him now, she couldn't think about another time.

"The person you're trying to call, cannot come to the line at the moment. Please try again
later" the person at the other end said.
She chuckled at that. She knew he was still upset.

"If you didn't wanna speak with me, you wouldn't have answered "
".. father" she added. She knew how to get to him. He loved hearing her call him dad or father.
"(Coughs) how is my granddaughter?" Mr. Jones asked.
"She's fine. I'm sorry I didn't call you"
"Hhmm... it's fine, I guess " he simply said.
"No, it's not. I'm sorry, please forgive me?"
She pleaded.

"Fine, fine. You know I can't stay upset at you for long"
"I know," she said, letting out a giggle.

"Have you spoken with Ariella?"
Oops!! She hadn't. Where was her head at?!

She'd met Ariella on her delivery day. She just happened to be the gynecologist in charge of her delivery. She was also the daughter of Mr
Jone's best friend.

"I haven't... I forgot. I'll call her right after our call" she said
"I'm starting to think you have dementia. You suddenly forget things, and you're not old" he said.
She laughed.
"I don't have dementia dad... I'm just forgetful, 'cause I have a lot on my mind "

"Don't think too much, okay?"
She just hummed in response.

As soon as the call dropped, another call came through. She stared at the caller ID and sighed before picking up.

"Hey..." she said awkwardly.
"Yeah sure.  I just can't believe you at times. You landed two days ago or something and you didn't bother to tell me if you were okay and settled. I just had to find out from my goddaughter—
"I'm sorry... I'm okay and I'm settled. I promise to give you every detail of how my day went, how my week went—
Ariella burst into laughter.
"C'mon you know that's clearly not what I'm talking about."
"I know"

"I wish you'd stop lying to jasmine. She deserves the truth"
"Ariella, I've gotta go. I'll call you later—
"Amelia—
But she'd already disconnected the call.
She didn't like hearing about the lie.

It was something she wasn't proud of but she assumed, Jjasmine was better off not knowing the truth.

"Rey- Amelia," Annie said
"I'm going to get water.. want some?" Amelia asked.
"I'll pass"
"O..k," she said turning to leave.
"Amelia " Annie called again.

What did she want to say? She looked stern and composed.

"Annie, do you wanna tell me something?"
Amelia asked.

"Why? Why are you lying to Jasmine?" Annie finally blurted out. It has been bothering her for a while now. She just didn't understand why Amelia was lying.

"Geez, Annie... I already told you why." Amelia was getting frustrated. Annie was now the second person to ask her that.

"What are you afraid of? You can't keep lying to her about the identity of her father. She deserves to know.. she shouldn't be told that her dad is serving in the army and that he sends gifts every f**king Christmas and birthday. You and I both know you get her the gifts and you write the postcards too... pretending it came from her dad"

"Annie, she's my kid. And I'll tell her what she needs to know-
"What's the harm in saying, you and her dad separated? At least you told her the truth."
Annie said. Their conversation was getting intense.

"Ann, I'm doing what's best for her. My past should stay in the past. I don't want my daughter to find out I was treated harshly by her dad. I want her to be proud of her dad—
"The one who's in the army?" Annie scoffed.

"I'm not gonna indulge in this conversation anymore and you have no right whatsoever to tell her the truth," Amelia said walking out.

"Ah.." Annie screamed lightly...
She was having contractions.
"Ah.." she screamed more. Amelia heard and rushed to where she was.

"Ann, are you okay? "
How could she be?

Annie held her for support.. just then her water broke.
"The baby's coming.." she said high pitched.
"Hang in there Ann"
Amelia put her hands around her.
"Jasmine" she called out.
Jasmine came running down the stairs.

"Mommy, you called me?"
"Get my phone honey. Call Archie" Amelia said.
"Mommy he's not answering," Jasmine said

"Leave a distressing voicemail. Tell him Annie's going into labor and that I'll be driving her to a hospital. He should hurry and meet us at NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital, ASAP" Amelia said.

She helped Annie outside to where the car was parked. Jasmine hurried outside with the car keys.
"Sit in back with your aunt, Jasmine"
Amelia said after opening the front car door.
She got seated, inserted the key, and started the engine.

"Hang on Annie. We'll get to the hospital soon"
Annie just nodded...
Jasmine looked worried, she placed her tiny hands on Annie's bump.

"You're scaring your mom.. cousin. Go easy okay? You don't wanna be a bad baby. Aunt is in a lotta pain" Jasmine said,
As though she could communicate with an unborn baby.

Annie appreciated it and held unto Jasmine.
Amelia drove as fast as she could, panicking at every traffic light. She wished she could break the rules and drive past the freaking traffic lights but she couldn't.

At last, they arrived at the hospital. Annie was carried into the hospital on a stretcher, And into an operating theatre.