Chapter 61 - Deja vu

She could feel his touch, his warmth;She'd missed this. One moment he was caressing her and the next he was hitting her. She could feel herself screaming but it felt like her voice was gone. She knew it was her husband who was doing this to her but, why couldn't she see his face? Everything about him was familiar but she couldn't see his face though she was staring at him. He kept yelling and hitting her.

"Ah!!" She screamed, holding unto her body. She looked at her skin, checking for marks or a bruise but none. It was just a dream. But why did she dream about him? She'd never dreamt of him ever since they got divorced.

And why couldn't she remember what he looked like? No matter how hard she tried Recalling, she couldn't remember. She just had migraines instead. He was bad memory anyway, maybe it was better this way.

She poured herself a glass of water, before heading to the washroom.
She got dressed in her cooperate clothes- pencil skirt and long sleeved shirt.
She did her usual makeup and called an Uber to drive her to work.

She took the elevator straight up to Mr. Andre's office.
"Come in" he said. She was surprised, she hadn't even knocked yet.
She walked in and his chair was backing her as usual.
"Good morning, sir"
"Morning, Miss. Jones. I need you to pick up some paperwork from Karin's office. She's on a sick leave so you have to do her job as well."
"Okay, sir" she said before taking her leave.
She hoped Karin was okay.

She'd grabbed the files and she was about heading back to her desk to work on them when she met Mason. She greeted him and without waiting for a response, she headed for the elevator.
"Amy" he said holding her arm back.
She turned and put up a fake smile.
"How may I help you, sir" she said pushing his hand off.
"You're putting me on a tight spot, Amy. I couldn't sleep well, thinking I might have done something much worse. Amy-
"If that's all, sir. I'll have to be on my way.. I have pressing matters to attend to" she said getting into the elevator.

Before she could press her floor, Mason walked in and pressed the rooftop. Not allowing her to put in hers.
"We have to talk. I can't have you giving me the cold shoulder, which is unlike you"
"Do I have a choice?" She rolled her eyes.
She got out of the elevator and headed to the rooftop and stood by the edge, admiring the view.
"Is this because I didn't tell you why I was away for a week?" He asked walking towards her.
"Maybe. You seemed like you wanted to talk about something important, and when I asked you didn't seem interested in talking anymore. You drew the line, Mason. You obviously meant it wasn't my business" she finally let out.

He held her hand. "You look adorable when you're angry" he chuckled.
"There you go again, changing the subject" she said brushing his hands off.
"I'm sorry. I thought it might be burdening to tell you. I just didn't want you to worry"
"Let me worry." She said holding his hand.

"I needed your help with a divorce. Your brother in law specializes in divorce, right?"
"Why? Are you married?" She asked shocked and disappointed.
"No, I've never been married" he chuckled, making her a bit relieved.
"It was for an ex- girlfriend of mine. She got married a few months ago and he's constantly abusing her. That day at your sister's birthday, I got a call that she was hospitalized. She'd broken a lot of bones and it would take her a lot of time to recover. I had to be with her throughout that week. She needed me" he finished.

"I'm sorry"
"It's fine. I reported him and he's in jail awaiting trial. She was assigned a divorce lawyer already. I'm sorry I had you worried, I couldn't take calls most of the time, so I had my phone switched off"
"I understand. Are you okay?" She said staring deep into his brown eyes.
"Yeah, I'm okay"
He suddenly cupped her face in his palm.
"What are you doing?" She laughed.

"Staring at your adorable face closely." He grinned.
"Quite being so cheesy" she giggled.
"I don't think anyone will work with you and not admire you" he said with the brightest smile.
Instant goosebumps appeared on her skin. It was Deja vu, she'd heard those exact words before. Does he like her?
"I'm glad I have you, Amy"
His words made her blush, she wondered if he could see her red cheeks.

He inched his face closer to hers. Their faces were barely inches apart. She felt her heart racing at the thought of what he might do next.
He closed his eyes and she did too; Awaiting his lips on hers. He opened his eyes and smirked at her face. He smacked her forehead, snapping her out of the clouds.

"Ouch! What was that for?" She winced.
"Get back to work. I'm still your boss" he grinned.
"What a kill joy" she frowned.
"I'm just kidding. But, you have to get back to work"
"Should we grab coffee, first?" He asked.

Was he asking her out on a date?
"Thanks but it's too early for caffeine"
"Maybe later?"
"Sure.."