Chapter 38 - Crossing all the lines

Feeling strong grips on her neck, she forced her eyes open; to see Andre strangling the life out of her.

"I'll kill you" he kept muttering with tears falling down his cheeks, his eyes were shut closed.
Reyna struggled to speak.
" ..A.." no words escaped her vocal cords.
She just cried thinking it was the end. She was going to die at the hands of the man she loved.

His grip lessened and he fell back to his side, still muttering the same words.
"I'll kill you"
He seemed to have had a nightmare.

She got out of bed and straight to the kitchen. She chugged down a whole jar of water. She cried on the floor, she couldn't find her words yet.

She wasn't gonna sit by anymore, this was too much for her to handle. She wiped her tears, got dressed, and started packing up most of her clothes in a suitcase.

"What are you doing?" Andre said walking into the room to find her aggressively packing.
"What does it seem like I'm doing?" She answered without looking at him.
He walked up to her and stopped her.
"Out of my way," she groaned.
"Not until you tell me what's going on"
She took off the scarf she'd tied around her neck. Marks from the strangling were still on her neck.
"You did this to me in your sleep"
"W-how?-
"Andre, I think we need a break. A break from each other, a break from our marriage. I need space to think things through. If I want to carry on living like this" she said and finished zipping up her suitcase.

"But--
"I've made up my mind Andre. You look like you need it too. You're going through something I don't know about"
She pulled the suitcase down from the bed and grabbed her handbag.

"I'll respect your wishes. How long? Will two days be enough? One week?-
"I don't know how long it's going to take but it's for the best." She kissed him on the lips briefly, before leaving the house.
He just stood there watching her leave. He couldn't say a thing.

**
She arrived at her family's mansion.
"Reyna, I've missed you so much," Anna said wrapping her arms around her.
"I missed you too. Look who finally called me by my name"Reyna said with a smile.
"It's good to see you after so long... Mrs. Andre Davies. Just kidding Reyna" Anna laughed.
"You just had to" they both laughed.
"How have you been?" Anna said.
"Surviving"
The look on Anna's face changed.
"I was just kidding Anna. I've been fine" she laughed before Mrs. Neil approached them. Anna dismissed herself.

"Reyna?" She said.
"Mom," Reyna said hugging her mom.
"Why are you here? Is Andre coming too?" She said peering at the door like someone was gonna walk in any minute from now.
"No, he's not. I'm taking a break mom" she confessed.

"What do you mean by that?" Her mom stared at her blankly.
"I need a break from our marriage. I need time to think if I want to spend the rest of my life with him, I--
"I'm just gonna stop you right there. Reyna, there's nothing to think about. You should return to your home"
She couldn't believe her mom was saying all this.

"Mom!! I've been suffering both emotionally and physically in the hands of my husband and I'm here to seek emotional support from my mom but I can't even get that?" She teared up.
She took away the scarf, revealing the bruises. Her mom looked shocked for a bit but as quickly as it came it vanished. She gained back her composure.

"You married him and vowed to be by his side for better and for worse" Mrs. Neil added.
"Screw that mom. Do I have to be dead before you realize? You know, dad deserved better. He deserved a better life partner than you" she yelled out.

"Reyna--" Mrs. Neil yelled but Reyna cut her off
"Yes, mom. I'm crossing all the freaking lines. You never really cared about anybody but yourself and your damn money. Like who gives a f**k about your money? You never cared for your children. You never even liked Ace when he was still alive and when he died you cried a river like you ever cared." She paused to wipe her tears.

"You lost your son to death, your eldest daughter to your greed for money and now you've lost me to your negligence. And all for what? For money. To climb the hierarchy of successful filthy rich families...Why am I crying?" she laughed awkwardly, wiping her tears.

"You never loved us, mom. But I loved you, I really did. So good luck climbing that hierarchy and I hope it brings you the company and happiness your children couldn't. Goodbye mom"
She grabbed her suitcase and left the house.
She'd poured out her mind and she felt weak, alone, and heartbroken.
She went to the only place she knew she'd always be welcomed.

*****
She sat by the porch crying.
"Reyna?" Annie said
"A.. Annie," she said wrapping her arms around her crying more.
"Hey, what's wrong?"
"I.. I--
"Shh. I'm here" she hugged her back.
She opened the door and helped her in.

"Here's a glass of water," Annie said handing it over to Reyna.
"Thanks," she said and drank it all.
"What happened?"
"I should have listened to you. Mom doesn't love us, "
She narrated everything to Annie.
"I'm so sorry"
"I'm fine Annie. I really am"
she was far from fine.

I mean who would be?