Chapter 48 - The fight

Archie arrived a few minutes later. After receiving Jasmine's voicemail, he rushed over.
They all sat together outside the OT. Pacing back and forth with shaky hands. Worry was drawn all over their faces. Jasmine was the only calm and composed one.

Just then, the cry of a newborn baby filled the air. They both erupted into teary-filled laughter.

"I'm .. a dad," Archie said teary-eyed as he pulled Amelia into a hug.
"Me, an aunt," she said disengaging the hug.
The doctor came out.

"Can I see my wife and baby?" Archie asked rather impatiently.
"Sure. But she's weak at the moment. I'd advise you don't engage her in long conversations" the doctor said before leaving.

They went in, and Annie was laying down with beads of sweat on her forehead.
"You did well," Reyna said with a smile holding her hand.
"Don't say anything, my love.. preserve your strength " Archie said planting a kiss on her forehead.

Archie sorted the bills and spoke to the doctor.
"My baby. I want to hold him" Annie said after waking up. She'd been asleep for two hours.

The nurse placed her baby on her chest.
She kissed his forehead, and he just adjusted himself. He was asleep.

Annie stayed in the hospital for twenty-four hours before she was discharged.

...
"We should pick a name for our baby," Annie said as she held him in her arms.
Archie placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Zach," they both said simultaneously.
Annie chuckled.
"I like it too" Amelia chirped in.
"Glad we didn't have to fight over names. Welcome, to the family Zach," Annie said.

"Now that Zach is born. We can start planning for our wedding" Archie said.
Amelia looked perplexed.
"Hold up. You both aren't married..yet??"
Amelia exclaimed.
"Take a chill pill," Annie said.

Annie hadn't told her, 'cause she knew this was how she'd react.

"We didn't have enough time for that. We've been dating for almost 4 years without being intimate and just one night .. it happened. We didn't use protection. you should know how that works.. and bam, months later I found out I was pregnant. We were both swamped with work and before we knew it, I was 32 weeks pregnant. We couldn't plan a wedding then, the stress would be too much for my baby and the doctors had warned me about stress. So, we decided to have the wedding after the baby was born."
"Relax.. okay?" Annie added.

"I should relax?? I can't believe you, Annie. How could you get pregnant without getting married first? You gave birth to my nephew out of wedlock" Amelia started.
"For what it's worth, we were engaged," Archie said, trying to resolve the issue.

"Oh, shut up Archie"
"You have no right to talk to him like that," Annie said and Amelia simply rolled her eyes.
Archie took the baby away, Zach was asleep and he didn't want their argument to wake him up. He wasn't ready to deal with the cries.

"You're forgetting, you gave birth to Jasmine out of wedlock too"
"Don't make this about me Annie"
"I'm simply stating the facts here. You can't be judging me when you did it too"
"Annie, mine was different. I was married before I got pregnant and gave birth without the father"

"Amelia, I don't care about what you're trying to prove, But this is my life. You're welcome to stick by my side. If you're still upset about the fact that I gave birth without being married then, you can make use of the door " Annie said pointing towards the main door.

Amelia scoffed. "You know what. I'm not gonna give you what you're seeking"
"And what am I seeking?"Amelia asked.
"A fight. You want me to satisfy that needy side of yours. Not gonna happen"

"Ann-
"Yes, Amelia. I think it's high time we had this conversation. This is my life, my choices, my baby, and my future husband. I didn't get to have a say in your decisions. So if you're not happy with my decision, then you can leave"
"Annie-
She was yet again cut off by Annie.
"You heard me. If you can't be happy for me if you can't stick by my side. The door is right there "
Tears had gathered in both their eyes but they were fighting them back.

"You weren't there for me five years ago. Why now? -
"I.. just can't believe this.. Annie-
"You only thought about yourself  and I couldn't be the inconsiderate sister, who holds her sister back from getting her own share of happiness"
"I'm just sick and tired of all these.  You cannot come into my life five years later and try to dictate my life for me."

"Make your decision already. You either stay or you leave. No in-between" Annie said sniffing in her tears.

"It hasn't gotten that far.. you both are sisters. You should work things out" Archie chirped in.
"Fine, you chose him over me. I thought it was me and you against the world. At least that was what you said" Amelia said as tears fell down her cheeks.

"I didn't choose anyone over you. I just had a new family of my own, which you can be a part of. And yes it's always gonna be you and me against the world"
"So.. this is it.. I'll leave. I'm not welcome anyway" She sniffed in her tears.

"Jasmine" she called out.
"If you're leaving, you leave alone. Leave Jasmine out of this"
"She's my daughter." She snapped.
"Jasmine"

Jasmine came running down.
"Yes, mommy"
"Get your things, honey, we're leaving," Amelia said without sparing her a glance.

"Where to mommy?"
"Back to Norway"
" But we just got here" She pouted.
"Get your stuff now" Amelia yelled, causing Jasmine to shriek and hide behind Annie.

"Don't yell at my niece"
"Jasmine" Amelia called out in a tone that made Jasmine shiver.
"Mommy, I'm scared"
"Jasmine"
"Mommy," she said frightened.

"Go up to your room jasmine. Your mom and I will sort this out okay?" Annie said.
"Okay," Jasmine said before leaving.
"Annie quit meddling"
"I can accept your behavior towards me but not towards Jasmine. She didn't do anything wrong, you shouldn't put it all on her"
"I think you need space to think and clear your head. This isn't you"Annie added.

Amelia just grabbed her purse and left slamming the door shut.

She wasn't acting like her usual self. Something was going on with her. What was it?...