Chapter 43 - Broken

Her life wasn't any better even after she'd moved to another country. She still felt the void in her heart. She was in a strange country without anyone to fall back on. She was all alone, she had no one to talk to about her trouble. She hadn't been able to get across to Annie due to the time difference.

Anytime she called, Annie was either working or getting ready for her shift. It was hard to get across to her. Texting wasn't helping, Annie always replied late. It wasn't her fault. They both just needed to adjust to the time.

Reyna had tried job hunting and apartment hunting. She eventually found an apartment of her liking. But it was hard to get the job, because of her condition.

No one was willing to employ a pregnant woman.

"You will only become a burden. We're deeply sorry, we can't hire you" they'd always said, everywhere she went.

She wanted to give up but if she did, she wouldn't be able to take care of her expenses and bills.

She tried out so many odd jobs, but she either got fired for sleeping on the job or because she was always tired.

Eventually, she got a job at a clothing company. The CEO had taken pity on her after hearing how she'd been rejected from every job she'd applied for and also he found out she had nobody to rely on in the country. She was also pregnant.

A few weeks later...
She got an email. The divorce papers were ready and Andre had already signed them. Her signature was all that was missing before it could be finalized.

Seeing his signature, already on the papers, she got sentimental. She'd asked him to sign when it arrives, but she didn't expect him to. She reluctantly signed before sending it back to Archie for finalization.

**
The news of their Divorce had skyrocketed throughout New York City. It seemed to have been leaked to the media by someone in court.

"Why are you alone? I told you to come along with Reyna" Mrs. Davies said as soon as Andre walked in.
He wasn't looking good. He looked like he hadn't slept in days, or had anything to eat or drink.

He was struggling, he hadn't been the same since Reyna left him. He'd gone to both her family's house and Annie's begging for an audience with Reyna.

He was losing his mind, he was hurting.
Losing her was a big blow to him.

"What they're saying in the news is fake right? Groundless rumors?" She questioned again.
They didn't wanna believe that they had separated, they'd told Andre to come with Reyna, to confirm if it was true or not. And here he was, alone.

"It's true mom. We got divorced" he managed to say with his head down. He couldn't face her, he didn't know how to.

"Why? There must have been a reason" she was getting impatient.

He remembered what Reyna had told him, on their one year anniversary.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be your soulmate, sorry I wasn't the kind of wife you expected me to be. I hope you find the one for you... Before, I forget. If your parents find out about our divorce- eventually they will. You can tell them you divorced me, on the reasons that I cheated on you a lot, or I wasn't who I seemed to be. You can call me a slut, it wouldn't be the first time. Honestly, you could come up with the worst reasons. Anything that helps you sleep at night, and gain your family's trust."

But he couldn't bring himself to do any of that. Not when he was at fault.

"She divorced me. I wasn't good to her mom. I... I was horrible to her. I hurt her both physically and emotionally...I deserve it all" He said as tears rolled down his cheeks.

"You idiot," his dad said slapping him across the face.
He just stood still, none of that hurt as much as his heart right now.

"Stocks plummeted because people know about your divorce and are deriving false reasons for it. The company is suffering because of you. She was a good girl, from the day I saw her I knew she was too good for you - A broken man. I thought, she could fix you, but you proved you're way too broken to be mended" his dad fired.

"I'll have someone clear the office. You're fired, Taylor's taking his rightful position. I'll give you the fund for the project I wanted to have you in charge of but I don't want to have anything to do with you or the project you choose to do. I'm cutting all ties with you. Now get out of my house" his dad yelled.

He got on his knees. "Mom, dad. I already lost her, I...I can't you both too--
"You should have thought about that before hurting her and getting divorced. Get out before I call security to throw you out like a piece of trash, which you're slowly becoming" his dad said.

"I'm disappointed in you, Andre. It's like you're not that sweet boy anymore" his mom said.
He knelt there crying.

"I'm still traumatized, mom and dad. I never healed from that day. How could I? How could I love someone when I hated myself to bits? How could I be normal or sweet after what I went through?" He yelled crying more.

"We're not at fault. We helped you cover it up as much as we could. We got our hands dirty for you." His dad said.

"I'll leave. I'm sorry for bringing disgrace and disappointment to this family. I deserve everything that's coming for me and more. Maybe I'm paying for my sins"
He got up on his feet and took one more look at his parents before taking his leave.

He got home and cried more. He'd lost everything; Reyna, his job, his house, and his family.
He was miserable. He couldn't stay at the house anymore, since it was a gift from his dad for him and Reyna and because the house reminded him of Reyna.

He packed his things and drove down to Manhattan. He wanted to start afresh, forget his past and bury it for good and never look back.