Chapter 72 - For granted

AMELIA...
"Let's break up" I choked on my words. I'd practiced all night in my mirror, I'd cried every time I uttered those words. I wanted to get it perfectly without crying. It was the right decision, he deserved better.

"What are you talking about? I heard wrong, right?" he said placing his hands on mine. I slipped my hands through and looked away.
"You heard me. Let's...breakup" I said again but this time I felt a lump in my throat. How long was I gonna keep this act up? I couldn't hold in any longer.

"Fine. I'll break up with you on one condition" he said so calmly. I guess he didn't think I was serious.
"What condition?"
"A valid reason. Without a valid reason, I'm sorry but I can't break up with you"

I just stayed silent, I didn't know where to begin.
I'm breaking up with you because I had an affair with your best friend.
How can I be that blunt?

"I knew it" he chuckled.
"You got me real good babe. You're trying to prank me right? I mean it's April's fool day" he laughed and crouched beside me.
I wished it was just a prank, but it isn't.

"Mason, I'm serious. It's not a prank, I wish it was too"
The look on his face turned pale.
"Just break up with me already"
"You haven't given me a reason yet. Let's not talk about it further, you don't have a reason. I'll walk you to your office"

"I'm serious Mason-
"You're taking it too far. If you're serious, give me a f**king reason" he raised his voice.
"I slept with your best friend on the night of the runway" I blurted out before I could stop myself.
"Don't play with me, Amy. That's not funny" he looked scary.

"It's the truth. I mistook him for you"
"How? We don't even look a little bit alike, how did you mistake us for each other?"
"You were the one I sent the text to. I expected you to be there and it was dark, the darkroom"

"No wonder these past few days you've been acting weird. You were trying to gaslight me into thinking I was in the wrong when you're the one-
"I wasn't gaslighting you-
"I'm still talking, you've said enough. It's my turn to speak" I could see his veins popping out, and his eyes had turned red.

He scoffed, "you dragged me into the storage room to get rid of your guilt by trying to... You're a sly fox. You toyed with my feelings" his voice was calm and it made me scared. I couldn't hold back my tears.

"I should have listened to my friends, they told me you were gonna break my heart and I was stupid to think otherwise."
I shook my head, it was never my intention.

"You took my love for you, for granted. You know I heard something some time ago; if you love someone more than they love you, you're bound to get your heart broken. I never understood it but you made me realize its meaning" he sniffed in tears.

"Did you ever love me? Did you ever mean anything you said to me? Did I ever make your heart flutter?"
"Y-
"I guess not; fine, let's do what you said," he said and sat down on his chair.
"Mason, I-
"Let's break up Amelia jones."

Funny how the tables had turned. I was the one asking for a breakup and now he was the one asking for it.
"Mason.."
"Stop the waterworks, Amelia; it won't work on me anymore. Let's just go our separate ways" he said and turned his back on me.
"Fine" I muttered, I wiped my tears and walked out of his office.

I walked into Andre's office and saw Mason punch him across the face.
"How could you? You're my best friend. We've known each other for twenty-two years and this is how you treat me?" Mason said angrily before he punched Andre again.
I tried to stop them but I ended up getting hurt. I got up and left.

"Hey, why are you crying? Did you settle things with Mason?" Annie asked.
"We... We broke up, Annie" I cried and she hugged me. I knew she wanted to ask questions but she didn't. She just tried to console me as best as she could.

I'd taken his love for granted, he deserved someone better.
"Should I get you some ice cream? Or better still chocolates," she said with a smile.
Yes, I forgot all my problems and log out of my thoughts whenever I had ice cream and chocolate but it wasn't going to work in this situation.
"Thanks, Annie, but I just want to sleep. I had a long day and I'm tired" I forced a smile.

"Okay. Good night" she hugged me and left.
I covered myself and cried myself to sleep.