Chapter 35 - Claustrophobia

Derek's POV
While in the shower, my phone kept ringing nonstop.
Who was calling this much??
I got out of the shower; still in a robe.

Private number??

Just then the number called again. I picked up.
"Hello?" A voice came through at the other end. A feminine voice and a familiar voice too.
"Reyna? Is that you?" I hadn't been able to get in touch with her for a week now.

"Derek it's me. Ineedyourhelp" she joined her words together. She was sobbing and panting too.
"Take a deep breath and talk slowly"
I heard her take big deep breaths.

"Okay now, tell me what's wrong?"
"Andre locked me up and took the keys--
"Why did he do that!?"
"Because apparently he had someone watching me and he put me on house arrest. I left to get myself a new phone. I was able to get your number by downloading my contacts through my iCloud. I...I need your help...I can't breathe.. there's a spare backdoor key... underneath the floor mat out back..."She stuttered.

I couldn't hear her and her voice was fading fast. I laid my hands on the nearest clothes.
"Talk to me, Reyna... Reyna!!"
I kept yelling but all I heard was a loud thud before the call was disconnected.

She was claustrophobic. She never admitted it.
She didn't wanna admit she had a weakness.

I got dressed in an ash baggy shirt and joggers.

I rushed over to her place... Spare keys underneath a floor mat outback? I found the keys and my hands fidgeted...
I was scared, I hoped she was okay. I managed to put the key into the keyhole, twisted it, and pushed it open.

"Reyna!" I entered the back of the house screaming.
I found the staircase... I went up opening all the room doors. The house had too many rooms for just two people. I got to a room. The room was locked on the outside. Luckily, the key was still there. I twisted the door knob, to see Reyna laying on the floor passed out.
I made her lay on my leg. Tapping her face.
"Reyna, wake up" she wasn't responding.

I carried her in my arms downstairs and laid her on the couch. I got a wet cloth and placed it on her forehead. She seemed to have a fever.

"Wake up, please" I ran out of options.
If she didn't wake up now I was going to take her to a hospital.

* Coughs*
"Reyna," I said lightly as her eyes slowly opened.
"Derek? you came?"
"Yeah, I did" she sat up, and I helped her rest on a pillow.

"You wore your shirt inside out," she said laughing.
She was such a strange woman. She was unconscious minutes ago and now she was laughing because of my worn inside-out shirt?

"Are you serious? Did you hit your head hard? do you have a concussion?" I bombarded her with questions.
"I'm fine"
My eyes narrowed down to her wrists.
"What happened to your wrists?" I said examining them. She had bruises and little cuts.

"Oh, that.." she said putting her sleeves down to cover it but I'd already seen it.
"Andre did that to me"
"Why?"
" Yesterday, I'd gone to an apple store to get a new iPhone since Andre destroyed the previous one. He had someone watching me. I got home as quickly as I could and hid the phone where he wouldn't find it. He got back really furious demanding I hand over the phone but I didn't.
He hurt me in the process and when I didn't budge. He locked me up and took away the keys"

"Why are you still married to such an a**hole? You should file a report against him or divorce him better still"
"You don't understand. Do you think I haven't thought of leaving him? He has this strong hook on me. I can't leave him because of my family and because it could lead to unwanted problems"

"Those are just immature excuses, Reyna. Can't you see that he doesn't love you? If he did, he wouldn't lock you up like some kinda animal."
"Could we not talk about him right now?"
"Okay, sure. Wanna go for a stroll? You seem like you need fresh air after being cooped up in here all day."
She just nodded. I held her around her waist to offer support.

"Let's sit by the porch first"
We took a seat and it was silent. We could hear the birds chirping, and the smell of freshly baked bread.

Just then a cab pulled up. Coming out was none other than the a**hole himself.
Looks like someone left his car in a hurry.

"Reyna," He said walking towards us.
She suddenly got up and I stood beside her.
He slapped her across the face. She fell back and I held her.
"Are you okay?" I asked such a dumb question. How could she be?
She nodded and I let go of her.

I moved forward and punched him square in the jaw.

Reyna slapped me.
"Derek, stay out of my personal life," She said.
Not when it was made public in front of me.
I was furious she was still defending him.

"Your boyfriend can throw some punch huh?" He said wiping the blood from his lips.
Reyna got in front of me.
"Dre--
"I told you not to leave the house. Didn't I?"
"I'm not your puppet Andre... I'm claustrophobic in case you didn't realize..and Derek came to my aid; While you left me to suffocate in a locked room"

"You're such a slut" he cursed at her.
I was respecting the fact that she didn't want me interfering. But I was losing it.

"And you're a manipulative jerk of a husband" she fired back.
"Do you even know why I started watching romantic movies? I bet you don't" she said much more confidently and Andre was just mute.

"To escape my reality. The reality that I'm married to an unfamiliar husband who hits me and caresses me only when he dims fit. Do you think the movies are that emotional to make me go sentimental over them? No, I just needed an excuse to cry about how miserable my life has been since I got married to you" she said holding back tears.
That was pretty deep.

"Oh yeah?" Andre said storming off into the house. I put my arm around her shoulder consoling her as best as I could.

Andre came out with a mini bag and threw it at Reyna.
"If you wanna leave, go ahead and f**king leave. I'm not gonna beg you to stay. I could get your replacement in a day " he snapped.
He was crazy.

"Sure. Best of luck with that" she picked up the bag and stared at me.
"Can I crash over at your place for a while"
"Yeah sure"

"I'll send your remaining things to you" he yelled but we'd already arrived at my porch.

I took her bag to the main room upstairs. I wanted her to be comfy.
She sat on the couch crying her eyes out, and her stomach growled. She sniffed in her tears and stared at me.

"Okay, I'll make us some noodles, do you like yours with an omelet or--
She just started bawling her eyes out again.
Okay fine, I'll just cook. At least I was best at making noodles.

I watched her cry a river on my couch. After eating, she sat down to face me.
"He.. he called me a slut" she broke down into another phase of tears. Her eyes were puffy and red now.

She stopped crying and just stared at me. Her lips gave a little part as she inched closer to me. My heart was racing and It would be possible that she could hear it.

Next thing I knew she fell on my shoulder, fast asleep. My heart interpreted it wrong.

I carried her in my arms and laid her on the bed, tucking her in. About to leave and she held the hem of my shirt, I turned and she was still sleeping.
"Don't go. Don't leave me all alone" she said sobbing.
"Shh. I'm not going anywhere" I didn't know if she was referring to me or Andre but I stayed by her side.

I gently caressed her hair.
Was it bad to let a married woman sleep over at your place? it seemed so; but not when her husband is a total doochebag.

She slept quietly like a baby. I watched her all night.

She didn't deserve such an abusive husband, she deserved someone who could treat her right.

Q&A...
Q: Team Derek or Team Andre?

A;...?