Chapter 63 - Strange Woman

"Miss jones" his voice came through the intercom. It was gentle this time.
She approached his office, knocked and walked in after he said "come in".

"I need your help with something" he started off. He was being polite?.
"Okay, sir"
"There's a board meeting happening in two hours and the printouts for the agenda isn't ready yet. I need you to photocopy 20 copies of this file. Arrange the conference room and If it needs tidying up. Tidy it up." He said authoritatively, before handing her a file.
"But- it's not my area. I'm not-
He cut her off.
" I know. The staffs are out for lunch and you're the only one available."
She hesitated, but agreed since it was the first time he was nice.

"Check out for typos. The printouts must be perfect"he added before she walked out.
She sat on her desk staring at the file, she hesitated before bringing it close to her.
She heard the sound of her door open and close.
"Don't you know how to knock?" She said without hesitation.
"I'm sorry. I'm just a bit stressed, I didn't mean to yell" she apologized,staring at Mason.
"What's wrong?" He asked sitting across her.

"The boss asked me to make photocopies and I hate to admit, but I can't photocopy."
He chuckled. "I'll help you out"
"Really?" She beamed.
"Yeah. I'll do half and you'll do the remaining ones"
"Fine"

He helped her make copies and also taught her how to efficiently make photocopies.
"It wasn't as hard as I thought" Amelia said.
"Told you."
Mason checked the time on his watch, before saying; "I have to go"
"Where?" She curiously questioned.
He knew if he didn't tell her, she'd make a whole issue out of it,like the last time.

"Tori's getting discharged today and-
"Who's Tori?"
"My ex girlfriend. The one I told you about weeks ago?"
She looked taken aback. She wasn't expecting that answer.
"Oh, yeah. I remember."
"But, do you have to go?" She added, feeling jealous that he was leaving her behind for "Tori".

"Yeah. I'm sorry but she needs me"he said trying to make her understand.
I need you too. I feel like a complete loner when you're not here. I have no one else to talk with or laugh with here. Please stay with me- her heart screamed.
"Okay. Bye" she said with a sad expression.
Mason didn't really notice her mood change, he just got up and left saying he'd text her later.

She got up to finish off one more thing.
She arranged the file folders one to each seat.
She was proud that she was done until she spotted a cobweb on the ceiling. Knowing how Mr. Andre would react if he saw that, she went into the storage room and grabbed a step ladder and a cobweb brush.
She placed the ladder directly across the cobweb. She climbed to the very last step, stretching the brush in the direction of the cobweb.

She brushed it off and patted herself on the shoulder. She lost her balance and right about when she was about to hit the floor; a pair of strong arms caught her. Her eyes were shut tightly . Her grip on this person was tight.
Realizing that she didn't fall to the hard floor, she opened her eyes.

"Boss" she beamed. She'd never been this happy to see him. She hugged him again and again, staring at him briefly.
He let out a chuckle he didn't think he'd been holding. He found her reaction cute and silly.

He composed himself, letting out a cough.
She stopped and stared at him.
"Thank you. I never thought I'd be this happy to see you. If you hadn't caught me in time with your strong arms-" her voice trailed off as she touched his arm muscles, Causing his stomach to do a backflip.
"I'd have broken a limb, worse my spine" she gasped. She smiled and he couldn't help but think she was a strange woman. Before she sent the wrong signal to his body he spoke.

"Aren't you gonna get off of me?"
"Oh! Right" she said, standing up.
"I get it, you're grateful. It's fine. Why were you up there anyway?"
" I spotted a cobweb and decided to get rid of it-
"You could have just called someone. What if I wasn't here?"
He was scolding her but she wasn't furious. She thought he was being thoughtful of her. She couldn't believe he was worried about her. It convinced her that, he wasn't half as bad as he appeared.
"You're smiling? You're such a strange woman."
"The board members are approaching, I'll be in my office if-
He cut her off midway.
"Stay" he let out. The look in his eyes were different;Warm and lonely.

"Okay.."