Chapter 39 - Divorce

* Rapid breathing*
"Annie. I don't feel so good" Reyna said washing up her face after throwing up.
Annie placed her hand on her forehead.
"We should get you to a hospital for a check-up. Your body temperature is off the roof" she wrapped her arms around Reyna, offering her support as she walked her to the car. She made her sit at the back.

She fell asleep on the ride to the hospital.
She slowly opened her eyes, Annie was sitting beside her with a smile plastered across her face, and a female doctor stood across from her with a smile too.

"Was I diagnosed with cancer?" she thought.

"Er, what's going on?" She asked
"Congratulations. You're 16 weeks pregnant" the doctor said.
Annie squealed.
Reyna just stared blankly at them.
"Really?" She asked unsurprised.
She'd had her doubts for the past few days and now it was confirmed true.

"Yeah. You don't seem happy" Annie said
"I am. I just feel a little sick. I'mma be a mom"
"Oh, I've prescribed some drugs for your morning sickness"
"Okay. But how come I couldn't notice the signs earlier?"
"It's nothing new. Most women have mild unnoticeable signs. "The doctor said.
She seemed to be processing it all. Thinking about it, she had been noticing mild symptoms since the family dinner.

"Before I forget. Stress isn't good for the baby, I'll leave you both then." And with that, the doctor left.

"I'm gonna be an aunt" Annie squealed again.
"And me a mom" she placed her hand on her stomach.
"Hi, baby" she chuckled at her statement.
She checked out of the hospital.

Later that night...
*Buzz buzz*
Her phone kept vibrating. She searched for the phone with her eyes closed. Knocking down some things before finally grasping a hold of her phone. She answered without looking at the name of the caller.

"Hello," she said in a coarse voice.
"Hey, how are you? Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot about the time difference. I just couldn't wait" the person at the other end said with so much energy and excitement.

"Julie?" She asked before checking the screen of her phone.
"Yeah. I'm pregnant. I found out that I'm 12 weeks pregnant" she half screamed.
"I'm so happy for you Julie"
She couldn't bring herself to say she was too. She'd just found another reason to stay away from Andre. She had to think for not only herself again but for her baby too.

"Thanks, Reyna. I'd talked to Andre about it an hour ago but he said you weren't home and that you were staying over at your sister's place for a while," Julie said.
But Reyna didn't utter a word she just remained silent.

"He misses you. I could tell from the way he spoke." She added.
She missed him too but she wasn't gonna let her emotions get the better of her.
"I'm sorry, did I ruin the mood?" Julie said.
"Jules, congratulations once more. I'll talk to you soon, I need to catch my sleep"
"Oh okay, bye"
With that, she hangs up.
She lay on her back, staring blankly at the ceiling.

"Rise and shine. We've got an ultrasound meeting with the Gynecologist" Annie said tilting the blanket that covered Reyna.
"What time is it?" She groaned.
"Ultrasound o'clock"
"Why'd you have to be so annoying first thing in the morning?" She said rhetorically before walking into the bathroom.

***
Reyna lay down on the examination bed. The gynecologist applied a special gel to her abdomen and pelvic area. The gel helped the sound waves travel properly. Next, she places a transducer, onto her body. She moved the transducer to capture black and white images onto the ultrasound screen.
"It's a girl," the female gynecologist said with a smile.
"She's so tiny," Reyna said observing the movement of her baby girl.
Once they'd captured the images. She wiped off the gel from Reyna's stomach.
Reyna was handed an ultrasound picture of her baby.

.....
She screamed out of her sleep.
"What's wrong? Another nightmare?" Annie asked.
"Yeah. I keep having the same one for the past few days now. Annie my dreams always come true. Remember when I told you I saw myself getting married to someone and I was crying bitterly? Well, it came true I'm married to Andre. And now I keep getting the dream that  I'll have a miscarriage because of him." She paused as tears threatened to escape.

"I don't wanna lose my baby"
"What do you wanna do about it?" Annie asked.
She had to think fast about what she wanted. What decision would be good for her daughter?
"A divorce" she blurted out.
She'd made that decision for her daughter and not for herself.

"Okay. I'll just get in touch with a friend who specializes in divorce" Annie responded.