Chapter 46 - Adopted

Five years ago...
"Hey there"
"Sir" Reyna said trying to get up from where she sat.
"Sit, it's fine," her boss said.
"How may I help you sir?"
"Reyna, how are you?" He asked.

It was a normal question but it wasn't what a boss would ask an employee.
"I'm fine sir" she answered.
"Are you really fine?" He asked again.

She looked like she was about to cry.
How could she be?
She was all alone in this country, she couldn't get in touch with her sister and her dad.

"No sir," she said as a tear escaped.
"I thought so. You know, you remind me so much of my daughter." He hesitated.
"Your smile, your attitude, your wits, everything. She would also lie every time and say she was fine when she wasn't. She tried hiding her feelings with a fake smile. But I could see right through her"

"Where is she now?" Reyna asked.
"She's..dead. car accident, she died with a baby in her womb" a tear managed to escape.
"I'm so sorry sir," she said

"It's fine, I shouldn't have said that. If you need to talk to someone, I'm here for you" he assured, patting her shoulder before leaving.

A few days later...
"Sir.. can I take you up on your previous offer?" She asked in a shaky voice.
"Yeah, sure. Sit"
She sat across from him and told him everything that had been bothering her. How she found herself alone in this country with her unborn baby. Mr. Jones felt so bad for her.
" I'm sorry you had to go through all that. But, I'm here for you. I want to help you"
"I'm fine sir"
" Stop lying to yourself. You're not in the least fine"

He handed her a tissue as she cried.
"I'm sorry sir," she said.
"I want to be your family"
She wasn't quite following. He was a man in his late 40s, what type of family?

"I want to adopt you. I know, what you're going to say. You have parents and I'm no less than a stranger" he hesitated.
She wasn't expecting that. Well, he wasn't wrong, he wasn't less than a stranger.

"I want to take care of you and your unborn baby. I don't want you suffering silently by yourself. Let me help, please" he said.
"Sir... I..-
"It's too much to take in, I know. You can take your time. My offer still stands"
She was at a loss for words. She just nodded before leaving.

She was alone, she couldn't rely on anyone, it was weird but a part of her wanted to take his offer.

He had been nothing but nice to her ever since she started working for him. She needed to think long and hard about her decision.

She decided after 3 weeks.
"Yes"
"Yes, what?" Mr. Jones said confused.
"I'll be your adopted daughter," she said with a smile.
"Thank you... I promise to be the best dad and grandfather" he was beyond happy.
"With your permission, I'll send someone to move your things into the house-
Was he asking her to move into his house that fast? She wasn't legally his adopted daughter yet.

"The house next to mine, the adoption papers might be ready in 90 days or more but I want to be able to care for you both from a close distance"
Pheww, it wasn't what she was thinking.
"Okay, sir"

He assigned a nurse and a maid to her. The maid was there to cater to her, help her with her cravings and tidy up.
Reyna went into labor a few days later.
Mr jones was by her side. When Jasmine was born, Mr. Jones was the happiest. He treated Jasmine like she was his own. He loved her to bits even though his blood wasn't flowing through her veins.

Author's note:
I know it's short but I just wanted to post it and explain who Mr. Jones is.
See you in the next chapter.🤭