Chapter 64 - Budding feelings

ANDRE..
The past few weeks has been crazy. Meetings after meetings, call after calls and the most important of all; the budding feelings I was developing for Amelia. Every time I saw her taking a nap, I unknowingly smile. Her smile when she's talking to Mason; I wish she'd smile like that with me.
Gosh, every time I think about it, it feels wrong.

I've never felt this way about anyone since.. Reyna. I'd almost forgotten her name, but she was constantly on my mind, I haven't been able to move on or let someone else back into my life.

I keep wondering if she's okay, if she's married to someone, if she found it in her heart to forgive me, if she's living the life she wanted, if she's genuinely happy. My conscience judges me every single day. I'd ruined what we had, I'd hurt her badly and I was paying for it.

She was the best thing that ever happened to me but I screwed everything up. I only have myself to blame. I really do hope that she's happy. I know I'm not.

There was a soft knock on my door and I knew exactly who it was. " come in"
She walked in, without meeting my gaze. She stood at the center of the room.
"I have something to say, sir. More like an idea" she started. Usually I don't listen to anyone's opinion except I asked, but she was gonna be an exception.

"Okay. Let's hear it"
"Could we move to the couch?" She pointed at the couch. I didn't respond, I moved and sat comfortably on the couch. She took a sit beside me and placed her laptop on the table. She typed something but I wasn't looking. I was distracted by her face. The way her lashes batted, the way her ears shone, the way her lips parted each second. I couldn't look away.
"Sir. The company's sixth anniversary is coming up soon. I know we haven't celebrated any anniversary till date but it wouldn't be bad to do something new right?" She asked and I thought about it, she wasn't entirely wrong.

"Okay, so what do you have in mind?"
"I was thinking we host a runway show"
"A runway?" I asked amused. We didn't have that much models to showcase our designs. We majorly just used mannequins.
"Yes. We could do a collab with a modeling agency and cosmetics agency. We just have to provide exquisite designs" she said trying to convince me. It sounded perfect but it was gonna take a lot of time to put it all together.
"I know what you're thinking. The anniversary is still a month away. I'll do my best to make it work, you just have to give me an approval to proceed and—-
She talked on but I was lost in her eyes. She was smart and pretty. Her lips moved but I couldn't hear the words.

"Sir" she called out, snapping me out of my thoughts.
"You were saying?" I said and she frowned.
"Your approval?" She repeated.
"Oh, yeah sure you have my approval" I said without hesitation.
"Okay sir" she said and packed up everything and left.
Her cologne remained fresh in the air, I was swooned by her unbelievably.
...
I was about to sign a merger and acquisition deal when Amelia barged in, panting like she'd just ran a marathon. She walked up to me and spilled a glass of water over the documents and me.
"Wtf, Amelia?" I screamed.
The other business partners got up on their feet looking pale.
"I.." she paused to catch her breath.
"They were trying to.. con you sir. I did a little digging and found out they were running in debt of over a hundred billion dollars. And once you signed the acquisition, the debt would be yours to pay. If you think I'm lying, read the terms and conditions of the document" she said causing me to gasp. If she was right.. then she'd just saved me and the company.

I glanced over at the business men and the look on their faces told me she was right.
"Security" I called out.
"Walk them out of the building and never let them in" I ordered.
"Yes, sir"
Once we were alone, I pulled her into a hug, she gasped. She wasn't expecting that.
"Thank you so much."
"I just did my job" she said humbly.
"Still. I'm grateful" I said pulling out of the hug.
"Let me buy you dinner" I said. I wanted to thank her and indirectly ask her out on a date.
"Thanks but no thanks. I have plans. I'll take my leave now" she simply said and walked out.

Damn..
I got off work too and returned home.
"Uncle" Ryan said crashing into me. I pulled him up into my arms.
"How are you little one?"
"I'm fine"
"Where's your mom?"
"In the kitchen"
"Okay, I got you ice cream and your favorite snacks"
"Yay"
"Not so fast, I'll give them to you only when you're done with homework"
"Fine" he frowned before returning to his room.

"Hey Jules" I said as I walked into the kitchen.
She didn't give me a response.
"Julie, I know but you shouldn't worry yourself about me, I'm okay"
"Are you?" She looked at me with tears in her eyes.
"Hey, I'll feel horrible if you cry"
"Mom and dad aren't even speaking to you. You got divorced and had to stay alone for five years. How can you be okay? You constantly blame yourself for everything happening in your life." The tears fell down her cheeks.
I pulled her into a hug. She was the only one who didn't hate me. Taylor didn't speak to me also, he wouldn't let me see Layla. My whole family had turned their backs against me except Julie.

"It's all my fault. Please don't cry"
"Are you a fool? Quit blaming yourself, I hate seeing you in pain. You're hurting but you try to hide it with that convincing fake smile of yours. I can see right through you" she sniffed in her tears.
I didn't know what else to say, I just patted her head. We had the same conversation every day I came back from work for the past few months since she and her new family moved in with me. Having her, Ryan and Gregor around was comforting; I didn't feel completely alone. But I wished she'd just stop worrying about me, it'll only hurt. The last thing I want to do is hurt my sister.