Chapter 84 - Faded Memories

The Neil family arrived at the hospital with worry drawn over their faces. The nurses led them to the new ward Mrs. Neil had been transferred to.
"Fred?" Mrs. Neil called her husband by his first name when she saw him. He was the last person she'd expected to see.
"Elizabeth" he called to her as he sat beside her. He held her hand and she cried.

"I'm sorry for everything" she cried.
"It hurt to see you let go of yourself and become a monster to our kids. It hurts even more that it took this illness for you to come back and apologize. Sadly, I have to see you leave. But I promise, for old-time sake that I'll be with you until the very last day" he said placing a kiss on her hand.

"I'm-
"Sorry? Can you stop being sorry for goodness sake? Don't you think it's too late?" Amelia yelled.
"Honey," her dad said pulling her into a hug.
"Dad. She's being selfish by trying to abandon us again" she cried. She stayed in his arms crying for a while. It was all overwhelming and hard to digest.

"Can't you stay alive for your granddaughter? Not for me but for her?" Amelia finally said breaking free from her dad. She moved closer to her mom with Jasmine beside her. Mrs. Neil looked shocked, she didn't know she had a granddaughter.
"Yes, mom. Can't you stay alive for both your grandchildren?" Annie said again.

"I...I have grandchildren?" she stuttered.
"Yes. Amelia's daughter, Jasmine, and my son, Zach."Annie said and her mom just cried, she wasn't going to be there to see her grandchildren graduate from high school or move on to college and then get married.

Archie came by with Zach, so Mrs. Neil could see both her grandchildren. She hugged both of them and gently caressed them. It was enough to make her regret not being there for them.

...
"Mommy, can I borrow your phone for a minute?" Jasmine said. She'd remembered it was her dad's birthday and she wanted to give him a call.
"I want to call daddy" Jasmine continued.
"Why?" Amelia asked curiously.
"It's his birthday today"
On hearing that, she realized Jasmine was right. How could she forget his birthday when every year after their separation she'd bought cakes with 'Happy birthday Andre' on them and blow out the candles before taking slices? She never forgot to celebrate his birthday even when they were thousands of miles away.

But she'd been too overwhelmed by what had been going on lately to even remember. She gave Jasmine her phone without hesitation.
She watched her daughter exchange words with Andre on face time. She looked really happy, she didn't realize until now the happiness she stole from her daughter by not letting her know of her dad.

"Daddy can you come to the hospital?" she heard her daughter ask. She waited patiently for Andre's response.
"Hmm. Yeah, but I'll be a little late. Your aunt Julie has planned out my birthday and won't let me leave till she says so, but I'm sure she'll make an exception if I tell her it's you" Andre said with a smile.

Hours went by but Andre hadn't arrived yet.
Jasmine had been waiting for him at the entrance getting excited but after a while, her smile died.
"Maybe he got caught in traffic?" Amelia said trying to brighten her daughter's mood. Jasmine just remained silent.

"I'm sorry, did I keep you waiting?" Andre ran in panting, looked like he'd been running.
"Daddy" Jasmine crashed into him, hugging him tightly. He raised her in his arms and gently placed a kiss on her forehead.
"What took you so long?" she pouted.
"I got caught in traffic, I had to park my car somewhere and run here" he smiled. He dropped her to the floor.
"I'm glad you're here Daddy"

"Mommy, I'll go see Zach. Could you please keep Daddy company while I'm gone?" Jasmine said with a big smile on her face. She'd set her mom up with her dad.

Without waiting for a response she ran away giggling.
"Hi," Andre said, unsure of what to say. He didn't want to get on her nerves. She didn't say anything to him.
"I can leave if you're not comfortable-"
He was interrupted by Amelia. " it's fine, you can stay. Should we go for a walk?"
He wasn't expecting that. "Sure"