Happiness

Tranquility sculpted the atmosphere, the soft whispers of the wind and quietude of the secluded room being the only thing that the boy, who was perched on the side of the mattress, could allow into his system.
The boy was taut, sitting upright as he subconsciously rocked to and the amber eyes studying what lay ahead of him.

Snowfall cascaded outside of the partially opened windows, allowing some form of air to circulate within the normally ablaze room.

It was quiet.

The boy's mind was not as hushed, mind spiraling back to another eon, to which thousands and thousands years of misery were never put to rest. They constantly tore at him, the snarling and vicious memories, and though he was granted freedom from that suffering countless times, he would never forget.

How could one forget? The Devil falling one by one, Smith ends and blood spill continuing for as long as he remembered. And he couldn't stop any of it.

The snow, it had ceased momentarily.

So had his mind.

Another night, he suspected, of reliving those memories in silence and guilt. For who could he tell? He was merely a Devil, blood sworn and bound. He was never going to be free. Never. He was..

"...Kai?"

The whisper of his authentic name emerged from the darkness beside him, and it was only then that Kai realized a gentle hand was resting upon his back, careful and cautious.

Kai turned sharply at the touch, eyes trailing up to meet the burgundy ones of the other boy who was examining him, hand slowly moving in tiny circles on his spine.

"What are you doing up, Brookstone?" Kai inquired abruptly, reaching up to take Cole's hand and remove it away from his back in reassurance, bringing his legs back up onto the mattress.

Cole bustled slightly, adverting his gaze as he toyed with his bandaged fingers.

"I should be asking you that."
Kai blinked slowly, releasing a huff of cold air. He watched as Cole admired the snow, the way the light of the moon partially reflected off of his eyes. He reached out, taking the bandaged hand without a word, unwrapping the bandages as he pulled the boy forward closer to him.

Cole remained silent, only allowing Kai to continue with whatever he wanted to do, and after a few heartbeats of silence, he turned to face the devil with a soft smile.

"The snow is gorgeous, isn't it?"
Kai glanced up briefly, before returning to his work.

"Mmm," Kai complied, resting Cole's hand on the bed as he leaned over to the nightstand constructed beside them, grabbing a few spare bandages before he picked up the angel's hand again.

Cole winced momentarily, as Kai started re-bandaging his fingers.

"You know," the black haired boy started once more, voice as hushed as an angel, "it holds peace— the snow, if you'll believe it or not. Anytime I watch it fall, I feel a type of calm resonate in me." He finished softly, out stretching his newly bandaged fingers, hand almost instinctively sliding up to caress Kai's cheek, who turned his face moderately to the side.

Kai was quiet, breathes deep and shallowed. His posture had relaxed more than he would probably allow on a daily basis.

"Kai, why do you shy away at my touch? You know I hold no remorse towards you, qīnài de," Cole whispered, thumb dragging across the devil boy's cheek as he drew closer.

Kai shook his head, reaching up to hold Cole's hand. "I am not free," he muttered solemnly, forcing an infinitesimal grin.

Cole's face fell into one of confusion. "How come? Your father freed you from your bondage many years ago, you're free as the wind, you are no longer enslaved by your burdens," Cole reassured, only causing Kai to make a small sound in the back of his throat.

"I promised my father that I would protect all of Ninjago to my own capability in mutuality. I am not mortal, I bear no witness nor worship any god. The fire collects my guilt, swear it be on the first spinjitzu master." Kai said simply and at last retuned his gaze to the boy, normal piercing eyes glistening with an overwhelming emotion.
Cole's smile quivered, and he shook his head, eyes squeezing shut.

"If you worship no god, bear no witness, then Kai, listen to me," Cole brought his opposite hand up to the devil's face as well, now cupping it with both hands.

"Let your heart be free."
Kai's physique faltered, and he released grip on Cole's hand, reeling back momentarily as his face morphed into one of pure distress.

The wind whipped outside, lapping at the snowflakes as they fluttered to the ground.

"But, Brookstone," Kai tried desperately, scrunching his eyebrows before he was cut off.

"You're free. You're on top of Chen's noodle shop and I am here, Kai. You have no calling, no duties, no past grievances to make up for. You are free," Kai began to tremble at the words, and after a few small breaths, he glanced back to the mattress, where an indent was prominent.

"Can we lay together, again?"
Upon Kai's request, Cole hesitantly let both his hands fall from the Devil's face, returning to where he had been laying previously, tucking himself underneath the covers, eyes wandering up to Kai, who did the same. Once both were comfortable, Kai released a deep breath, now shielded away from his memories and past remembrances.

They were all soothed, pacified momentarily. All that mattered was that he was here, in the present moment. All that mattered was that he hushed Cole, for Kai believed the boy held more concern for Cole then Cole held for himself.

"Cole," Kai let a smile carve itself into his features, genuine though small, "it's okay."

Kai extended his arms, to which Cole took the invitation with a shaky inhale, reaching and wrapping his arms around Kai's waist, bringing himself close. And only then, when he was buried within Kai's arms, did he let his breath go.

"You worry me," Cole sighed, shutting his eyes.

"I know," Kai replied quietly, slowly brushing his fingers through Cole's hair, fingers sliding through the one black strands that Kai would braid on occasion.

"Forgive me, for that." The Devil added, reaching down to pull more of the sheets over Cole.

"Cole," Kai whispered, tilting his chin down, "you are so kind to me, and while you are within my arms, my pain ceases. My mind is calm," Kai finishes slowly, sighing.

"So please, whether it—"

"Kai, whether it is one day or one year, or one lifetime, I will happily oblige to your wishes. You deserve happiness." Cole peered up at the boy, a soft red dusting over his cheeks.

Kai felt a smile creep onto his face, one that hardly ever appeared.

He would be at peace, if not for himself, for Cole. They deserved to bathe in happiness, together, as long as the First spinjitzu master may bless them.

And maybe, throughout Kai's thousands of years of suffering, that in itself would be enough.
__
Angel/Demon AU :)