I love you Kai Smith

(Farmer Cole / High school AU!!)

Cole sat in traffic, 'Cooler Than Me' by Mike Posner playing through the mixtape that him and Kai made back in middle-school. Cole smiled softly, as he remembered how he would suggest to put love songs in the mix, thinking that he was so slick and flying under Kai's radar.

At the time that they'd made that mixtape, Cole had already been in love with Kai for 4 years, and couldn't think about anything else but Kai. That hadn't changed, and Cole still hopelessly pines for Kai, even at the age of 18.

Kai still hadn't noticed, and Cole had just accepted that he most likely would never notice. Cole would be lying if he said he was content with their friendship, always wanting more than that.

Cole would just have to settle with writing Red earth's songs, hinting and sometimes flat out telling Kai that he was in love with him, not that he'd ever notice, as Cole's singing voice made it nearly impossible to make out any words at all.

Cole's unrequited crush on Kai was the inspiration of many of their hit songs, along with the hating of the house and just Lou in general. Zane had pitched in with some songs about his parents occasionally, and Lloyd had written a few songs about his father, when he was particularly upset at him.

Red earth's next rehearsal was tonight, and when Cole finally made it to his house, he rushed to set up the instruments and the mics. Kai was coming halfway through the rehearsal, and Cole was ready to unveil his newest song; 'I Fucking Love You Kai Smith.

Zane had suggested that Cole just tell him flat out, but Cole argued that this would be more romantic, and after 4 whole years of pining, he should at least go out with a bang. Zane had just shrugged at that, muttered a simple, "Your funeral," and went back to sipping his chocolate milk.

That was two weeks ago, and after many rehearsals, the song was practically perfect, and Cole was ready to confess. Zane and Lloyd came together, and Morro was dropped off by his parents soon after.

"Ok guys," said Cole, "We gotta get this perfect, my entire love life is on the line."

"'Kay," said Morro, sucking on a lollipop and picking up his bass, "If you really wanna kill your relationship with Kai, go ahead."

"Morro! That's not very nice, Cole worked extra hard for this, and he sure as heck doesn't want his friends being mean on his big day! Don't ya, Cole?"

"Yeah. Thanks Lloyd, at least someone supports me." said Cole, glaring at Morro.

"I support you Cole," said Zane, before drumming a practice beat and grinning like a madman.

Cole smiled awkwardly, "Thanks Zane. Alright, let's practice; 'This Farm Fucking Sucks Ass', then 'I Fucking Love You Kai Smith. Everyone cool with that?"

"Yup!"

"Yeah."

"Sure."
~~~
Just as the final riff of 'I Fucking Love You Kai Smith' played, the wooden door of the house started to creak open, and everyone turned to see Kai stick his head in, before opening the door fully and entering.

"Hey guys, basketball practice finished sooner than expected, so I came here. I hope you don't mind me being a bit early."

Cole smiled, "Nah dude, it's fine. We're just practicing a new song I wrote."

Kai grinned, and closed the door, before sitting down on the couch in front of the band. "A new song, you say? Can I hear it?"

Cole grinned awkwardly, "Y-yeah, of course you can."

Cole nodded his head to the rest of the band, and Morro held his drum sticks at the ready, waiting for Cole to announce the song.

"I-um. This song was written by me, and it's c-called; 'I Fucking L-love You Kai Smith'."

Kai sat there in shock as the song began to play, face on fire and jaw slack.

Cole was singing his heart out, telling Kai about how he pined for years, and that Kai never got it. The song ended with Cole singing about how it's ok if he doesn't like him back, but if he did, it would be amazing.

The final riff played again, and Cole shyly looked at Kai, only to see him in the same position that he was in when the song started, completely shocked. Cole visibly deflated, and the rest of the band shared a look, unsure about what was going on.

Kai blinked, and slowly stood up, before running to Cole and hugging him tightly, knocking the microphone over in his haste.

"I'm sorry I never noticed," said Kai, leaning back to look at Cole, and cupping his face with his right hand, "I hope I can make it up to you."

Just as Cole was going to reply, Kai leaned in and kissed him, taking the advantage of Cole's mouth being open to deepen the kiss. Cole stood there in shock for a moment, before wrapping his arms around Kai and kissing him back.

The rest of the band stood in shock as they began to make out, Morro taking a quick photo before beckoning Lloyd and Zane to follow him out, giving the two lovebirds some space.

After kissing for what felt like hours, Cole and Kai finally parted, and Cole pressed his forehead against Kai's as they panted.

"So," said Cole, "I take it that you liked the song?"

Kai laughed, "Dude, I loved it. It's the best one you've written so far."

Cole grinned, quickly kissing Kai again, "I'm happy I've gotten my boyfriend's approval. You are my boyfriend, right?" said Cole, worried.

Kai grinned, "Yeah, dude. I love you."

Cole leaned in for a kiss, "I love you too."