Boyfriends Best-Friends

Cole and Kai have always been close friends.

Even when they'd inevitably not hang out for a few weeks, when Kai would focus all of his energy on school work, or when Cole was going through a rough time and couldn't bring himself to leave his room, they'd always reunite as if nothing had happened. No awkward tension, no "Sorry, I should have talked to you earlier." They always silently agreed that it was okay, and went back to normal.

This was one of those times. It's close to the end of their Junior year of Highschool. Kai, always so focused on getting perfect grades, has been diligently finishing every last paper, project, and extra credit possible. Cole wonders if Kai ever gets to sleep. He has all AP classes, debate club, basketball, and worked a part-time job during the summer. Cole has noticed over the years that Kai often forgets to take care of himself when he gets too fixated on his grades. He'll always say; "I don't have time, I'm too busy." Cole knew this was partially a lie. He knew that Kai was so concerned with getting good grades that he'd punish himself for not getting enough done. He was always so hard on himself. That's the one thing Cole hates about him.

Cole has been in love with Kai for years. Or, at least he thinks so. He didn't fully figure it out until earlier that day, when he and Vania had finally broken up for good. They'd broken up numerous times and always ended up back together soon after, promising to fix whatever had caused it. But Cole knew it was really over this time. He couldn't fix having feelings for someone else.

***

Cole sat silently at the park next to Vania, staring at the rotted wood of the table they were seated at. He mindlessly traced patterns on it with his finger. It wasn't unusual for them to sit in silence together, it felt nice, to be able to hang out with somebody without pointless filler conversation. Today felt different. Cole couldn't figure out why something felt off until Vania finally spoke up.

"Cole, we need to talk."

Usually when Vania said that, there was an aggressive tone, one that Cole had grown used to. But this time it's calm, almost nervous sounding. Completely different from every previous time she's said it.

"Oh. Uh, sure. What's up?"

Despite the difference in her tone, he felt the same anxiety he always felt when this happened. He knew where it was going.

Vania let out a nervous breath before speaking.

"I think there's something you're not telling me."

Cole was still staring at the picnic table. He furrowed his brows at it, interrogating it with his eyes like it knew the answer.

He couldn't think of what she could be talking about. Nothing out of the ordinary had happened recently, considering how abnormal life in Ninjago City could be. He wasn't keeping any secrets from her, not that he ever did, he always told her everything. She's the only other person, besides Kai, that he trusts enough to tell everything to. They'd always been close despite their relationship issues. Cole finally looked up at her.

"I... don't think so? What do you mean?"

Vania looked back at him with knowing eyes. She always seemed to know him better than he knew himself.

"Do you remember the other day, when you said Kai is attractive?"

He remembers. He and Vania had been laying next to each other, scrolling social media. He saw a photo that Lloyd had posted of Kai, clearly candid, because Kai hated having his photo taken. He showed Vania and commented out loud about how amazing Kai looked. He didn't think much of it at the time, but looking back, Vania had been quiet for the rest of the night. He kicks himself for not noticing.