Chapter # 8

Ester, You have left me at that point of my life where if I won I will be yours and even if I lose; I would still be yours..

***

It can't be true. She wasn't supposed to be alive, she did it right in front of me and Henry. No one knows about her demise and there she stood talking and laughing and I stilled, left with no courage to think as someone dragged me with him towards them. My legs were so weak that even if I didn't want to walk to them I was taken by him when I turned my head and saw Henry anger flashing in his eyes and extreme desire for vengeance.

"Hello Ladies."He said, forcing a smile. Ester's smile faded when she looked at him. She looked away and bit her lips.

"First of all, I want to apologize to Mrs Corte." he let go of me and walked to her. He bend on one knee and offered her a black rose,

"I am repentant for my deed, I know they are your favorite, accept this as an apology." He smiled, apologizing sweetly. Ester looked at me with a horrified look over her face, trembling. I passed her a smile, signaling that it's okay.

She gulped and then looked at him and took the rose from him.

"Mrs Corte, you must have met my Sister, Grace."

"Y-Yeah, I know her.. " She said quietly, still looking at me with distress.

"There you are, Henry!" Then to bring back old scars, Emily came. She hugged everyone as Henry wrapped his arm around her waist, I walked to Ester and held her waist firmly, wanting to give her some assurance that I am here for her and there's nothing to be afraid of.

"Guys, it happened real quick, but Henry and I are engaged." Emily announced. I raised my eyebrow at Henry, bewildered by him, not understanding his action at all but still we also congratulated them- even if it was unwanted.

"I was hoping we can start things anew, Ester." Emily smiled. I opened my mouth to say something but Ester replied with a forced smile,

" I don't think I need your presence in my life, Emily." my eyes widened when I heard her saying this. I fake coughed and looked away feeling proud as my chest was boasting. Well done, Ester.

"We will see." Emily said, rolling her eyes off and scoffing. Ester then turned her head to the fake Grace and smiled at her,

"I hope we can hang out sometimes." She said, Now that's Ester's problem, she only believes in the person her delusion told her to. Even that person is fatal for her but still she believed him like she did with me. Loving me endlessly because of her delusions. I sighed and wrapped my arms around her shoulder, pulling her close to me.

"What happened, Desmond? " She asked, looking at me.

"Nothing. Let's go back." I smiled. Before she could ask or protest, I took her with me and left.

Just what the hell are you plotting Henry?

We were coming back and I grit my teeth in anger along with my mind filled with abysmal thoughts. Filled with consternation and distress, I couldn't comprehend anything. My grip around the steering wheel tightened as I couldn't think properly.

"Desmond Please drive slowly." Ester said, afraid. I spared a glance at her and tried my best to keep my anger inside me and not take it out on her. I looked away and slowly slowed down the car.

"What happened? Why did we leave in such a hurry."

"Nothing.." I mumbled. "You can-"

"I told you it's nothing, Ester. Don't bother me." I said angrily. She lowered her head and remained silent and kept looking down with a frown plastered over her face. Her this look somehow fuel my anger more as I stopped the car and slammed my hands over the steering to which she squeaked,

"God Damn it Ester, Stop being sad!" I scolded her.

"I-I am sorry." She said hurriedly, clutching the hem of her dress tightly, looking terrified of my glare. Her breath became loud and my fury finally calmed down as my gaze softened and I felt bad to scare her like this. I swear I didn't mean to hurt her intentionally.

"Ester.." I called her softly and brought my hand close to her face to caress it, but she trembled under my touch and kept looking down, biting her lower lips and not crying.

"I am sorry." She whispered. I moved close and looked at her apologetically.

"Look at me Ester." I held her chin and made her look at me. Her breath hitched when she looked at me, I didn't want her to look at me. "I am sorry. I shouldn't have shouted at you." I said gently. I was about to lean in and kiss her cheek but she held my shirt and pulled her head back,

"I-It's okay.. Desmond." She said, looking away. "Something must have stressed you." She kept looking away, not meeting my gaze which was filled with the penitence of scaring her.

"Ester."

"Desmond, can we go h-home? I am sleepy." She said shifting back and tugging her hairs behind her ears and forcing a smile.

I pulled back and looked away and began to say in a low tone,

"I am sorry, Ester. I was just stressed, I shouldn't have said that to you."

"It's okay." She said in a soft voice, not asking the reason anymore. I remained silent and went home with her.

It's night and after meeting Grace what happened that time came to my mind and stirred it as it sent shivers down my spine to see how she is alive and Henry has fallen that low to let a woman take his sister's place. I don't know what he is thinking but he is willing to do anything to take Ester away from me and make me fulfill the promise I made to myself for not loving anyone.

I still remember how I was too late, how just my demeanor of being a player brought ravage upon me and I watch it, leaving a scar on me which never want me to fall in love with anyone and have the same fate as Grace and for a moment, I did had the same fate as her when Ester left me and that moment I realized what she could have felt and I don't want to push Ester away from me because I have seen the cut scars on her wrist and I knew it that one wrong step can let Ester and me lead to death.

I closed my eyes and leaned back and turned only to see Ester facing the wall and not looking at me. I brushed my fingers over her shoulder and gently turned her to me and engulfed her in a hug as I kissed her neck and remembered the day Grace died...

***

"Grace, We are done. Don't cling onto me." I said coldly walking through the corridor of the college.

"Please Don't Desmond. I will do anything for you. I will die without you." She said, holding my arm at the verge of a breakdown,

"I never told you to love me Grace, you knew it yourself that our relationship is not even gonna last." I said, turning to her.

"I thought my love for you will overcome every obstacle and you will realize how much I love you. Please don't leave me Desmond." She finally began to cry out loud, holding me. "Stop it, Grace.. People are watching."

"Then let them! Please realize how much I love you, Desmond." I gave her a sympathetic look and pulled away from her, "I am sorry Grace. We are done." I said and left her all alone in her misery.