Chapter # 30

Me and Desmond, Mother and Father, Mr and Mrs Corte, we all are standing in the main hall of My House. Everyone's attention is towards me. I hugged my sides tightly. A silent stream of tears flowed from my eyes. I want to speak but my voice is stuck in my throat. Saying that is too much for me. I inhaled deeply and let out a broken voice,

"I can't live with Desmond.."

My answer shocked everyone- especially Desmond. Desmond's lips began to tremble. He began to let out heavy pants as he felt shocked and broken. Desmond was consumed by anguish. I motioned Father to give me the divorce papers which have my signature on them already. I wiped my tears and gulped to calm myself. I took a deep breath and looked at an utterly broken Desmond, filled with despair which extended to no boundaries.

"You promised, Desmond. Sign them." I said in a cold voice. Desmond gave me a begging look as I looked away. Please don't give me that look. It's all your fault, only if you hadn't hurt me that much.

"Please Ester, Don't do this to me. I beg you. I can't live without you.." Desmond began to cry. I close my eyes so as not to cry. I began to let out rapid breaths to calm myself.

"Sign them." I looked at Desmond again. I said in a cold tone but the tears in my eyes are visible.

"I gave you a month to remove those fears you embed. You couldn't. Now, sign them." Desmond wiped his tears and looked down utterly defeated.

"If that's what you want..." Desmond said in a low tone.

His shaky hands signed the papers. He closed his eyes as a tear fell on the papers. When he signed them I gave papers to my father.

"Submit them," I said as I turned to leave.

"Ester.," Desmond called me. He looked so broken. A stage of too much pain, which turns you void. I felt my heart ache just by looking at him like that. I looked at him as he asked,

"Can I ask for one last favor?"

"What?" My lips dried as I felt shattered, My voice came out like a hoarse whisper. Desmond came closer and whispered in my ear. I nodded and took his hand. I let him into my room. I closed the door behind me and looked at Desmond.

"Not like that!" Desmond said with a frown.

"Then?" I asked him.

"Do you remember that black knee-length lace dress I never let you wear?" he said as I nodded.

"Please wear that and get ready. I'll wait outside." He was about to walk out but I stopped him.

"On our anniversary... I bought you a gift... Take it.." I said. I swallow continuously so as not to cry. He nodded and stood there. I went to my nightstand and took out his gift. Something I always wanted to give him.

"Open it.." I said as I gave him the gift. He opened it. It's a flute. He smiled a little.

"It's precious." That's all he said. And these words meant too much. Too much. The pain behind those words is pricking me like a needle.

"I want you to play it for me that day... I thought about a lot of commands... anyways" I said sadly as tears rolled onto my cheek. Desmond looked down in shame.

"I can play it now.." I smiled and held his hands.

"Don't... It'll break me.." I spoke in a broken voice. I am on the verge of crying. I smiled and looked down.

He looked at me as silence fell upon us. That's a crushing silence that speaks louder than any word. It's like a scream filled with agony. A state of misery is filling both of us. Both of our minds are in havoc. Desmond gulped and stopped himself from crying and said,