Chapter # 31

6 Months Later:-

I was sitting on the rooftop, gazing at the stars. I smiled a little as I stared at them. I am much skinnier now. I feel so empty now. I felt too numb to even comprehend a beautiful thing. My Shy and Optimistic nature had been replaced by a cold and void one. Like, I am in a bottomless pit. And I am falling deeper and deeper into that abyss. I felt like my soul was being tormented over and over again. I have lost my strength.

I want to release myself from this agony. Last month, I tried to free myself by cutting my wrist and surprisingly, It felt good. This physical pain is far more pleasurable than my mental torture. My mind is being tormented endlessly. I am losing hope by each passing second. I am stuck in the maze of anguish; filled with doubts. If I love him that much, then, Why did I let him go? Desmond took my will to live with him. Breaking the little part which was only left. Desmond was right, It will break me...

I went downstairs for dinner. I sat down and stared at my food. I stared at it for a long time.

"Ester.." Mother called as I shot my head up at her.

"Yes?" I asked in my usual soft tone.

"Dear... Eat." She said as I looked down at the untouched food.

"I am not hungry..." I said as I got up.

"Miss Ester," Sarah said, Miss, right. That's what I am. Miss Ester Willows. Just how many dreams I had. And he broke them one by one. A divorced woman whose ex-husband hadn't even kissed her lips. I just want to cry at my misfortune. How many times will I be tested?

"Miss?" Sarah called again, dragging me out of my thoughts, I turned my head towards her and asked her,

"What is it?"

"Mr and Mrs Corte have come to visit you." I close my eyes for a second.

"Okay... I am coming." I said.

"Are you sure?" Father asked as I nodded and went to the drawing-room.

"Good Evening. What brings you here Mr Corte?" I said, my voice was void of any emotions.

"Ester... Please help us..." Mrs Corte sobbing. I raised both of my eyebrows in confusion.

"How?" I said.

"Only you can save him. Please We beg you. Please, Ester. Save him..." Mr Corte cried this time. My throat dried in dread.

"You are scaring me. Please tell me.." I said in a vague tone.

"Desmond... A few days ago.. He tried to commit suicide...he poisoned himself ... They're saying he's mentally unstable and if this remains... They'll take him to a mental asylum... Please... He can't live with you... Save him.." Mrs Corte said between the sobs.

I gulped and exhaled. My lips began to tremble. I let out a convulsed gasp. My mind went blank. I lost my senses as I stood still.

You have suffered without me just as much I have suffered without you...

Without caring for a thing, I grabbed the keys of my car and drove to Desmond's home. I entered and went to his room. My eyes widened when I saw a portrait of mine in that black dress. It's an extremely large portrait. I looked around the room. It was filled with my pictures which I never knew he had ever taken. The room is a total mess. My heart ached as I took a step closer to the portrait. I looked at it sadly. Just how much you have suffered? I covered my mouth as I walked down the stairs. Savannah came to me as I asked her,

"Where's Desmond?" I said.

"Sir is in the music room." I nodded and turned to leave but, Savannah stopped me,