Chapter # 29

Ester, Are you sure? Because we both know, Neither you nor me can live without each other.

***

Deluded in extreme agony, My mind couldn't comprehend what had just happened. My breath is stuck in my throat as I couldn't find comfort anywhere, I am still where she left me in the cold.

My heart felt heavy, I couldn't explain my heartbreak. I was breaking over and over again, not knowing why of all people. Why are all the miseries in my fate?

I have suffered enough, I did what Henry told me always, I pushed Ester away, I tried to liberate myself from my overwhelming pain by attempting suicide but all of it was in vain and I still where I started; Devastated and desolated. I couldn't take it anymore and I wouldn't even let it.

The little of my strength buried inside me, I will dig it out and prove my innocence to Ester. I cannot lose this last ray of hope. I won't be weak this time. No matter how much I will fall this time, I will not lose hope.

I will stand up and move toward the light. For the sake of the life I desire to live, I need to be unbreakable. I have to take every step cautiously, avoiding every thorn.

One mistake and everything will fall apart.

Finally after spending hours of ravage and shedding tears that Ester left even after promising to stay with me.

I composed myself and swallowed every harsh feeling inside me and contained my emotions putting up a cold front. I stood up from the ground and went to our room.

I took a long bath to clear my mind from the wreck that just happened and collected my thoughts.

To prove my innocence to Ester is the key.

I have a lot of things to do but firstly, I need to find someone to speak in my favor. I sighed deeply and looked at my reflection in the mirror.

Am I pathetic or Cruel?

An empty laugh escaped my lips because I know I am both. I am pathetic because I lost against Henry and Cruel because I did injustice to Ester and took away her dreams from her.

I hate myself for being like this but I won't let things be like this anymore. I need to gather my broken pieces.

I lowered my head in shame and grit my teeth. Why did Grace never tell me that she was pregnant? I would never have done this to her if I knew it... or it was a lie?

Grace always craved my love; she never told me anything related to this.

Urgh! I don't know what to believe now. It's better to know things than assuming them. Since Henry's parents died years ago, I need to find someone related to them. Someone who could help me.

As I was lost in abysmal thoughts, I received a call from Ester. I attended the call as there was a silence between us. She didn't say anything.

Due to her lack of response, I inhaled deep and managed to breath out her name,

"Ester..." My heart skipped a beat, not knowing what she would say. She simply sighed and said, "I am at Father's place. Don't come. I will meet you next week at our High School. I am going to give my first motivational speech there. I expect you to be there for me and we will talk."

That's all she said and cut the call. The way she coldly said her words broke my heart but deep down I was happy that Ester is finally going to take a step towards her dream. I was rejoicing for Ester

. She is leading her dreams, she is progressing.

"Good luck.." I whispered to myself and smiled.

We don't have time to look back, It's time to move forward.

I am relieved I have a week to get my hand on whatever information I can. It's enough time for me. I have this week to prepare for whatever affliction I can.

The next day, After work, I invited Emily to have a cup of coffee with me. It was hard to convince her but in the end, she finally agreed- after I literally begged her, not to mention.

"What do you want?" She rudely asked, taking a seat grumpily. I took a deep breath, patience is my greatest weapon in this time of need and I will use it. Thanks to Ester.

"Emily... I know you hate me-" She cut me off.

"Yes, I do. Because Thanks to you, I was one step away from crushing my parent's respect. Thanks to Henry who came to help me." She scoffed, closing her arms at her chest.

"But do you even love him?" I asked.

"Does it matter? Unlike you, Henry is willing to respect me and fulfill his obligations as his husband. When he is overly nice to me, why can't I fall for him? I am sure it will happen, Sooner or Later." She said coldly.

"And what do you mean by 'Unlike me'?" I inquired.

"Hah, Like I don't know what you did to poor Ester." She mocked.

"Even I only spread her pictures over the school but I never participated when they locked her up in the locker- Giselle told me about her reason for dropping out... but you Desmond... You tortured her for a whole year. How insensitive you are."

She snarled at me, her eyes reflecting the same hatred anyone would give me who never knew the reason behind my deed but I know it as well that they were sinful.

"Even though I have a shred of humanity in me because I felt repentant but look at you, how many times are you going to hurt her?" She continued to ridicule me.

Instead of making a decision hastily, I sighed and replied to all her taunts with one counter question,

"When the talks between me and Ester are a secret, then how come you get to know about it...?" She made a confused face as it took her a few seconds to register my words but then she chose the most obvious answer; the truth.

"Henry told me about it."

An invisible smirk came to my lips because this is the point from where I can win her in my favor, it's time to turn the tables,

"And who told him about our talks? "