Chapter # 7

After spending a whole week there, we came home. During our stay there, he didn't even take notice of my existence. He acted like he's alone there. But, It's better than his mock. And that incident is enough to make me happy. So, I didn't mind it.

Ever since we came home, My body has been burning feverishly. I felt tired. I feel like I've caught a cold.

It's been a few weeks and still, I am not feeling well.

"Ma'am, are you alright?"Savannah is so worried about me because my well-being is her duty and like all of us here, She doesn't want to go through Desmond's wrath either.

"I am fine." I smiled weakly but, this isn't enough to convince her. My whole form shows that I am not well. She put her hand over my forehead and exclaimed with worry,

"Ma'am you're burning!"

I coughed badly. Savannah patted my back.

"I'll be fine... I'll take medicine and some rest.."

"Are you sure?" She looked so worried.

I took lunch, went to our room, took some medicines and fell asleep.

I was sleeping peacefully. But, some irritating knock woke me up. My head began to ache to no extent. Instead of feeling better, I felt more exhausted and sick.

"Who's...here..?" My aching form manages to say.

"Ma'am, Sir is calling for you. He is waiting for you in the library."

Despite my urge to fall on the bed and sleep again, I wiped my eyes and stood up. My head was throbbing with extreme pain. I got out of bed and went to Desmond. I entered the library,

"You called me?"I said in a low tone.

"Yeah," He closed the book, making a thud sound. My body shivered at it. He looked really angry. His presence always crushes me miserably. My gaze remained on the ground.

"We're going to a ball tomorrow."He spoke firmly. He is not in the mood of any argument, still, my weak form gathered some courage and spoke up,

"Desmond.." I really can't go. I am so exhausted. I can barely open my eyes. I'm sure if I go I'll faint.

He looked at me and motioned me to continue,

"I-I can't go.I am feeling so-sick," I felt truly scared as he glared at me.

"Are you disobeying me?''He growled, making my heart stop. "N-No..I am just S-Sick," I shudder. "Since when?"

"O-Our h-honeymoon," My gaze is fixed on the ground. I swallowed hard and dug my nails in my palm. I always lost against his power. In fact, I never stood a chance against it in the first place.

"When we went on our honeymoon?", he asked. "A month ago.."

"And you are ill for a month?", his voice sounds irritated. He doesn't like my excuse for not going at all.

"I-", I tried to say something but he cut me off.

"Shut it. We are going. If you want some attention, show that fake sickness of yours to someone else." I looked at him in disbelief. He thinks that my sickness is fake. His words hit me like an arrow. He thinks that I am doing it to get his attention. I gave him a vexed look and said,

"I-I am not faking! It's that you're heartless!''I turned but I felt a hand grabbing my elbow. My body stiff as violent shivers emerge from my petite form. I gulped and remained still. Soon, I was yanked towards those arms of fury. My body, which was aching in pain, let out a yelp at the sudden movement. I lifted my gaze and met the eyes filled with aeration. His grip tightened as tears brimmed in my eyes.

"Watch your mouth if you don't want me to show you your place, understand?" My teary eyes nodded as he pushed me away. I left him there and walked out.

My head is dizzy. My eyelids are heavy. I barely have any strength left in me. Somehow I managed to go to my room. I lay down and fell asleep.

I woke up to literally panting. Seems like Desmond left for work. It's the first time since our marriage, I didn't see him off. My head feels heavy. I lay down again and closed my eyes and drifted to sleep. I am just too tired to stay awake.

I felt someone was running his fingers in my hair. I smiled and snuggled closely to the source of comfort. My breath was heavy. I don't have enough strength to open my eyes. I feel like I am in my mother's lap. I let out deep breaths as the voice said,

"Ma'am... it's the afternoon.. wake up and eat something.." I realized that this voice belongs to none other than Savannah.

"Can you bring it here...?"I said, still not opening my eyes. She chuckled, "Very well..." She then left.

Savannah came back with some food. I don't want to eat it but still, I forced it down my throat. After eating, she checked my fever, gave me some medicine. I took them and laid down again.

I woke up feeling much better than before. My fever went down a little. A deep breath was released by me. I got out and looked at the time. It's evening, meaning I have to get ready. I was about to get out of the bed but then Desmond entered. I looked at him and smiled,

"Welcome home."

"Get ready. We are leaving." He said as he left. Looks like he's here to wake me up. I wore a blue mermaid gown, with some black pumps. I let my raven hairs fall on my back. I applied a little makeup and walked out. I hope I look fine. Due to fever, I didn't pay much attention to my looks. I smiled at him. His eyes studied me for a second and then we left.

We enter the ball. Desmond held my waist firmly, making me feel strange sensations in my stomach. I can barely open my eyes. We were greeted by the host of the ball,

"Hello, Mr and Mrs La Corte."

"Hello." Desmond firmly shook hands with the host.

"Ester, He is Mr Ricardo."

"Nice to meet you," I spoke softly. We exchanged a handshake. He introduced me to a few more people. I feel like I'm going to faint. I forced my eyes open. I abruptly got away from him, when he let go of my waist. I immediately found an empty seat and sat there. He looked at me with a perfectly raised eyebrow, but I am really busy regaining my strength. I let out soft pants. After remaining like that for a while, Desmond came to me and offered his hand.

"Come, we have to dance."I looked at him. Tiredness is written all over my face yet still he's telling me to dance. Not wanting to anger him, I took his hand and went dancing. We were doing the Waltz but, My mind was senseless. I can't make out what's happening in the surrounding area. I began to blink. A sudden pain shot through my head whenever we took a turn.

"Please..stop., "I said breathlessly.

His grip tightened as he pulled me close. Our bodies met, He leans and whispered,

"Shut up."

"Please, Can we go home?"I whispered as I rested my head on his shoulders. I was panting. I don't feel well. The heat radiating from Desmond's body is making my burning form worse.

"No. This ball is important to me. We are not going anywhere... for now", he said. Why can't he understand? I can barely stand.

"Desmond..." I tried calling his name after a few moments. He hummed in response.
"Don't you feel any compassion for me?" I asked panting. He stopped the dance as he stared at my severely ill form. I lifted my heavy gaze and met his eyes that flicker with a look of remorse and hurt. As if he wanted to say that he is hurting too but couldn't say or show it.

But, since then I can break his facades as they took over him and his fierce emotions of hatred and coldness came and we continued our dance as he pulled me close. His silence gave me my answer as I felt overwhelmingly heartbroken.

Love aside, there's not even a single shred of compassion.

I put my head on his chest and let silent tears fall from my eyes.

"Please..."I can't take it anymore. I might lose my senses if we stayed here any longer. But, he didn't stop. I let out soft pants as I felt darkness over my eyes. I can't take it anymore. I let the darkness consume me as I passed out...