Chapter # 23

Ester, I am so sorry for everything.

***

"Ah, Sweetie. You seem to put on some weight." Mrs Willows chuckled, referring to Ester, "I don't think so." Ester mumbled looking at herself.

They hugged and greeted others. My heart is pounding fast but Ester was not affected by anything, maybe because she has no faults about what has just happened and the culprit should be scared- just like I am.

"And yeah, We need to talk to you two after dinner." Ester said.

"Finally I am becoming a grand-" She cut Mr Willows off, "No. It's about something else."

Mr Willows frowned and then noticed me and said, "Why are you quiet, Desmond?"

"Oh, It's nothing." I said politely as my heart was about to leap out of my chest.

"It's okay, Desmond." She whispered. I gave her a slow nod and after dinner the dreadful moment came.

We all were sitting in the lounge with a prolonged silence which is crushing me by each passing second.

"Well, tell me what you want to talk about?" Mr Willows asked.

"Father, I need you to listen very carefully..." Ester continued after taking a deep breath.

"The reason when I asked for a divorce for the first time is because I came to know that our marriage is nothing but a contract to Desmond to get his property. Yes, our marriage was a contract which states; our marriage cannot be annulled unless his wife wants to..."

"And I did ask for a divorce but despite all this, Desmond forced me to stay in the marriage. I didn't understand it at first as he never showed me any kind of affection and ..."

She took a pause, her parents' faces were expressionless, they were listening to her very carefully.

".. the reason for our divorce was... Desmond hit me.. He broke the promise of not hurting me and hurt me and realized his mistake the very next moment but it was too late because all things fell apart."

"But... here I am.. being his and we both truly love each other."

Ester explained and after hearing all this the first sentence was spoken by Mrs Willows.

"Why didn't you tell us before?" Her voice came out broken, soon heartbreak filled her along with a few tears in her eyes to hear about the suffering of her daughter.

Ester let out an empty laugh and looked down, "You guys know how delusional I am. Desmond warned me on the day we met that he would make my life hell if we got married, he just complied with his words."

"I was an idiot to believe in my delusions and marry him and let all of this happen to me and love him unconditionally even after being hurt by him countless times... But the reason I couldn't be able to tell you is because you guys are already repentant for what happened to me at the party in high school and I don't want you guys to have any more remorse."

Mrs Willows stood up and hugged her daughter, "Oh my Ester. I am sorry, my love. How couldn't we notice it earlier, we would never let this happen if we knew." She cried.

Ester continued to smile as silent tears rolled down her cheek and she continued in a croaked voice, "I fell in love with Desmond at first sight. That's why I thought one day my love will win his heart but Mother... Desmond is the most beautiful thing ever happened to me."

"How can you call this beautiful Ester?! James, say something!" Mrs Willows cried.

"Danielle. Look at Ester." Finally Mr Willows spoke slowly.

She pulled away and looked at Ester who had tears glistening down her cheek but a wide smile was still present across her cheeks. She was whiffing continuously, trying not to cry.

"Ester..." Mrs Willows whispered.

"All I ever do is cry, Mother. I don't want to be like this anymore. I am very happy with Desmond, he loves me a lot.."

She then raised her teary gaze and looked at me with her smile as she quoted my words.

"He loves me...More than I can believe and imagine.." She whispered, clutching her dress firmly between her fingers and lowered her head while gritting her teeth to not cry.

"Desmond." A shiver went down my spine when Mr Willows called me.

I raised my ashamed gaze and looked at him in penitence, "Just one question; Why?"

His voice was strained, trying to control his emotions. I lowered my head again. I opened my mouth to say but Ester speak up first,

"Someone has brainwashed Desmond about his love is terminal and if he ever loves me I will lose my life. He kept pushing us away believing this delusion... Don't ask anything. Please." Ester said, wiping her tears and stopping her cries.

"Who-"

"Father, No." Ester said sternly.

"Why are you telling us this now?" Mr Willows asked; changing his previous statement.

"Can we talk about this in the morning?" Ester said standing up. "Me and Desmond are staying for the night. Come, Desmond." Ester announced, dragging me away with her.

I just followed her heel, not saying anything. It took me a few seconds to regain my lost breath, senses and swallow the apprehension inside me.

She took me to her room, a smile came to my lips to see the place where I proposed to her. We entered and she closed the door behind her.

"Let them think about it and we'll talk about this in the morning." She exhaled. We then sat on the bed.

"I guess.." I trailed off, not sure about it. She flashed me a smile and tilted her head to me.

"Desmond, I have thought about it." She said sweetly.

"About what?" I asked, turning my head to her.

"About going on a vacation... I think you are right." She said,

"You sure?" I asked.

"Yeah. We both need it." I smiled and leaned in close to her face brushing my nose against hers as I whispered, "We do."