Chapter # 17

After the party, we were coming home. It was raining hard. He was driving as fast as usual. It was so dark. I hugged my sides to calm myself. I shut my eyes tightly, not wanting to see the darkness. I want to tell him to drive slowly or perhaps we should stay the night at some inn.

I smiled at today's events. Today is one hell of a day. He didn't let our marriage be annulled and showed that I am at mercy ever since I have decided to come into his life. He saw my scar and mocked it. Later, he kissed that same scar. For the first time, he smiled at me, genuinely. I heard his husky voice as well. I saw him aroused. Maybe our relationship is getting better. But the fact remains that I am breaking apart in his terror.

I smiled as I got lost in myself. The car took a sudden break, I squeaked as my whole body jerked. Desmond cursed under his breath. He took off his coat and loosened his tie. He got out. The door opened and the cold breeze brushed my skin. Goosebumps formed on my skin due to the cold. I exhaled when Desmond closed the door. I saw Desmond and felt bad for him. He was drenched in the rain. I looked for an umbrella but found none. Desmond sat back and called the mechanic. Desmond is an impatient guy, I know that much. He put his head on the steering wheel.

"Desmond..." I called him to get his attention.

"What!?" He said exasperated.

"Wear your coat, it's so cold.." I said concern.

"Worry about yourself!" He growled.

"Please.." I said again. He glared at me, shutting me up.

After a while, the mechanic arrived. Thank goodness he arrived with two umbrellas. He gave one to me as I got out of the car. Meanwhile, Desmond and he shared one. He began to examine the car as Desmond held the umbrella for him. After examining he said,

"Sir, the car needs to go to the workshop."

"Damn it!" Desmond grit his teeth. He looked at his phone. He growled as face showed that the phone signals were lost.

"Where is the nearest hotel?" Desmond asked.

"5 kilometers on this road." The mechanic said motioning to the road on the left.

"I can drop you off" Another voice joined the conversation.

We turned and saw the guy from the party. That green-eyed guy. I walked behind Desmond's shoulder as I frowned when I looked at him. Desmond notices my distress and said,

"No thanks, we are fine. Our house is still very far away."

"Oh come on Desmond! We are old pals! My house is nearby!" He insisted. Please say no. Please. Please.

Desmond sighed and said,

"Fine.." My grip tightened on the umbrella as I shivered. We sat in the car and left with him. I looked down and twirled my fingers around my dress.

"You know what Ester? Desmond has always been that serious ever since high school. All the girls are head over heel for him because of this. He was totally a player back then."

"Stop it, Henry.." Desmond growled. Somehow I gained some courage in my husband's presence as I began to say,

"Mr Joseph, I don't like when people call me that informally," I said with a little seriousness.

He chuckled and began to say,

"Oh, I apologized, Mrs Corte." I looked out of the window.

I suddenly remembered. Desmond used to be a player. I felt my heartache at this. He said himself that he had many lovers. On the other hand, girls loved his dire demeanor, which terrifies me to no extent. For a few days, anyone can bear it. Only if they have the guts to live with him forever.