Chapter # 21

Ester, Your love is my fortune. I was a severely afflicted person but you become my cure. Before I knew it, I became the worshiper of your love.

***

I then left for a meeting, I left on hanging yesterday and when I came back, I saw Ester in my office.

A smile came to my lips to see her. I cautiously entered to not let her know that I am here and closed the door behind me. I hugged her from behind and kissed her neck.

She gasped and turned to me, "Desmond!" She whisper-yelled at me and pulled away.

"You scared me." She said, putting her hand over her chest and shook her head. Her face was crimson, she was blushing madly. I didn't understand it at first but then I saw my dairy in her hand, I was stiff for a second.

Now I know why she is so abashed. I cleared my throat and turned my head away, "Is.. this my dairy?" I asked hesitantly.

She turned her head away, smiling shyly at me and nodded. "Since when are you writing this?" She asked timidly.

"I didn't write anything." I lied.

"Desmond.. you can tell me about this... instead of writing it down." She trailed off, tugging a strand of her hair behind her ear. I looked at her and took a step towards her.

I lifted her chin as my eyes bore in hers. I stared deep into her eyes, turning ignorant of the things around me as the time stopped and nothing but her azure eyes existed for me to reside.

I leaned in a little close to her face, her breath hitched, her eyes never leaving mine, she gulped and I began to say in a charming tone,

"Ester, no matter what path I choose, every one of them will lead me to you."

A smile crept upon her lips. She bashfully lowered her eyes, her face became scarlet, I love how my mere words sway her in the wind of my love.

"But I liked this one more." She said and opened my diary. She opened the first page and said.

"Ester, You have left me at that point of my life where if I won I will be yours and even if I lose; I will still be yours.. "

"I wrote it down when I realized even after trying to push you away so much; I still love you."

"And when did that happen?" She asked playfully, pulling away and taking a spin while grinning.

"Do you remember the first time you yelled at me when Henry sent that letter; You call me a heartless bastard." I was a little afraid to talk about it.

"And you called me a burden, a weight which was crushing you with each passing second... I guess now I know why you called me that." She added, no emotion present in her tone but I felt disheartened.

"Because I was afraid to let you know, our relationship was in a weak state at that time but then you asked me whether I want to leave you or not, that's when I understood; I am at that point of my life where my life is not mine anymore, It has become yours..." I said sadly, moving away and taking a seat.

"That's why you whispered 'I am sorry' to me before breaking my heart when I came to know about the contract.."

A smile slowly came to her lips when she spoke. I nodded, "I didn't want to hurt you but I had no choice.. You know what? I think I am even more weak and delusional than anyone."

I said, laughing dryly. Whenever I think about it I consider myself a pathetic excuse, how can I hurt her when she had no faults? It's something which is breaking my soul- my eternal regret.

She came close and put her hands over mine, giving me a sweet smile.

"Desmond, you bear all this for these years, you are not weak. He made you like this but don't worry I will obliterate every venom he induced in you."

She moved her hand and tangled her pinky finger with mine. She bent down on her knees and made a pinky promise with me.

"I promise." She said, My lips curved upwards when she did that. I don't think anyone will ever love me like she does, she is my dream, my desire, my hope.

My heartbeat is connected to her and there's no place other than her for me. My smile resides in her, she is my home, my redemption.

Just when we were lost in the deepest depth of endearment for each other, the door opened and a mocking voice came,

"Ah Mrs Corte, don't make promises you cannot fulfill. Or both of you like breaking promises?" We both turned our heads and saw Henry with the girl Tamara.

"I heard you wanted to meet her so here you go, I brought her here, Desmond. Surprising you are here as well, Mrs Corte." he laughed off, leaning on the wall.

The anger of years inside me was about to burst but Ester stood up and put her hand over my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze,

"What brings you here Mr Joseph?" She asked.

"Nothing just wants to meet Desmond."

"I see. You can meet him but I don't want your sister to be anywhere near my husband." She said politely. I looked at Ester, wanting to know what she was thinking.

"Why? Did something happen?" Henry asked, acting as if he didn't know. How can everyone here be so calm while I am burning in rage and with the urge to kill the person in front of me.

"She kissed Desmond and I don't want to hear any explanation. I know they both dated back in High School but the thing is, Desmond is my husband now and I won't tolerate my man with another woman. I don't mind breaking her bones or even killing her for this."

Ester said with her tone changing slightly into a menacing anger.

Who is she? I don't know her.

Even hearing it sends shivers down my spine. I looked at Ester in disbelief, distress glistened in her eyes but she was hiding it. Is she doing it... for my sake?

Putting her shyness and fear aside just to give me courage? If yes, then I will love you my dearest wife. If not, I still love you.

"I understand. Don't hold grudges Mrs Corte." Henry said.

"I won't. This is just a warning." She faked a smile.

"Mr Joseph. Me and Desmond are quite busy. I hope you can pay us a visit later." Ester said.

"It's okay. We will talk later, Desmond. See you." Henry waved and left with that girl. After he left Ester took a deep breath and rubbed her hands together.

"It was so hard to act like this... but it was fun." She laughed a little.

"You find this funny?" I asked with a frown.

"I never experienced anything like this in my life. It's thrilling." She grinned. "And yeah Desmond, tell me the next time you will meet him alone." Ester added.

"What are you planning?"

"Nothing. Just going with the flow." She shrugged her shoulders, looking at me perplexed.

She put her hand over her waist and raised her eyes and honestly looked so cute like this, "Did I do something wrong?"

"No. You are just..." I scanned her from top to bottom and completed my sentence, "Perfect." She smiled and looked away. Nothing can be compared by this demeanor of hers.

"I-I came here to get my bag. I left h-here yesterday. I need to call Father." She said, taking her handbag. "See you." She smiled and kissed my cheek.

"Love you." I said. "Love you too." She replied and left. After she left a voice came from inside me; Is this the life I was waiting for... Is this the moment I desired to live?