Chapter # 30

Ester, I am placing my faith upon your words. I don't care whether this path would lead us to misery or redemption but each step I will take with you is going to be memorable.

***

"And who told him about our talks? "

"He- He..." Emily was at a loss for words because she didn't know who told him. Henry played the sympathy card so much that he neglected its drawbacks. He never thought I would reach out to anyone. He was over confident- he still is.

"Do you know I hit Ester because your fiance kissed my wife? Why did I do it when I knew he did it and Ester was innocent?" I pushed her deeper in the pits of doubt as she was submerging in uncertainties.

"You are pathetic." That was her only reply. I put my index finger in the air to correct her, "Pathetic but not an idiot." I corrected her.

"Let me tell you another fun fact; Ester even tried to divorce me but I forced her to stay with me even though I loved her but I never told her and intimidated her but before I could start things over with her... Henry entered our lives..."

Her eyes widened in horror when the pieces were finally put together and everything came into her view as she could see the horrendous side of Henry.

"This has to be a lie..." She whispered, shaking her head.

"Now let me tell you Emily; Henry was behind all this. He knew everything because he made me do it. He considered me Grace's murderer, that's why he didn't want me to love anyone leading me to shatter the pure soul of Ester and my life."

"He is the one who made me pathetic and delusional. He is the reason behind everything."

She gasped in disbelief. Her lips began to quiver, she shook her head.

"G-Grace is dead...?" She stuttered. She doesn't even know her own sister is acting as Grace. "Yes. She is." I replied.

"T-Then.. The person here?" She was lost in the murk. "An imposter. Henry is doing all this." I said with a revolt lingering in my voice.

"What proof do you have? Why would I believe you? On one side, there is Henry who supported me and then there is you who devastated me. Why would I take your side?" She scowled and stood up to leave.

"You think I let Henry break me in all these years? I have told you; I am vulnerable, not stupid. I kept these to prove my innocence to Ester when we were about to divorce but she said she is scared of me and there was no hope of proving myself innocent other than eradicating the fear I embedded in her so I never needed it."

I explained to her and motioned her to come and sit. She grit her teeth and sat.

I never needed these to make Ester believe but I never knew she would be the first person to listen to the recordings I made when I was with Henry when Ester wanted to divorce me and I wanted to ask for forgiveness and confess my love but he stopped me.

"You are thinking or redeeming your deeds, are you?"

"Shut up. I will get her back."

"She is already furious that you married her because of a contract. Would she be able to go back to you when she hears what happened to Grace? ... Basically the same is happening to her..."

"What does it have to do with her?"

"You want to get her back, don't you Desmond."

"I need her, Henry. I will do anything just please don't tell her anything. Don't stop me."

"If you promise you will not love her or ask for forgiveness... then I will not talk to her about it."

"Then how am I supposed to get her back, if I cannot ask for forgiveness?"

"I don't care. Intimidate her, you are skilled in doing that."

"Fine."

"I have much more than this." I said. Emily was flabbergast upon hearing it.

A few tears rolled down her cheeks as she pulled her hair in stress, "What... kind of a person he is?" She breathed out in a croaky voice.

"Worst than you can imagine. If you still don't believe me, I have much more than this. Like this, it's before mine and Ester's marriage." I then played another one,

"Uncle is forcing you to marry her. By all means Desmond, you will not love her."

"I can at least try-"

"You can't! You don't want her to have the same fate as Grace by loving you, Do you?"

"No..."

"Then you will do whatever you can. You will hate her, you will not shred any kindness and hit her if you must. Just make her divorce you."

"Why would I hit her.. I get it hating her but hurting her physically is too much, Henry?"

"To make her hate you; You. Will. Do. It."

"... Okay..."

"Play with any woman but you are not allowed to love anyone. You have to hate her. Your love is toxic."

"And that's how he intoxicated my mind..." I said with an empty laugh. But it was turned into venom as I hissed along with a tear rolling down my cheek.

"I did whatever he told me. I was so weak and pathetic. He made me delusional, his words ate me up from inside. The only toxic person here is him."

I wiped my tears and stopped my tears which were about to fall. Emily began to cry, lowering her head in shame,

"What have I done..? I.. never knew him.." She sobbed. I looked away, not knowing what to tell her.

"I know I am a very bad person but Desmond I am not inhumane." She whispered, wiping her tears.

"I was used all this time by him but I couldn't do it anymore. I have finally understood what happened to Grace is not my fault. Her suicide is not my fault." I said firmly.

"It never was..." She whispered again and wiped her tears. "I want to help you, Desmond."

"I need your help too."

"Just tell me what to do." Trusting Emily, I began to tell her,

"The key point right now is Ester. Everything is connected to her and first, I have to win her trust- Now, Listen very carefully to what I am about to tell you..."