Chapter # 17

Ester, I know no apology would be enough to make up for my deed. That's why, punish me.

***

"Desmond..." I heard Ester's voice and my heart literally stopped beating when the sound of heartbreak intoxicated me in dread of seeing her reaction mixed with extensive anger for the person who did that. My heart clenched as I pushed that girl named Tamara away and turned to Ester.

She narrowed her eyes and looked at me in dolor. The look of intense agony and grief flashed in her gaze. My heart skipped a beat as my mind was filled with apprehensive thoughts of facing something unbearable. The emotions evoked in Ester might be something I never imagined I would see. There was wrath.

She slowly made her way to me. I, who lost my ability to think or speak, kept staring at her with my heart filled with sorrow. I wanted to speak, wanted to make things clear between us but the look on her face dared me to speak and I lost. I couldn't speak.

I blinked, she came closer. Her piercing cold gaze didn't meet mine. She kept looking at her in rage which extended to no bound.

My heart ached upon seeing her like this, it hurt me. I opened my mouth to explain her what she thinks is wrong but she spoke up first,

"You don't show your face to me, Desmond." Her tone was deadpanned. She didn't spare a glance at me, looking at her with those unfathomable clouds of fury and something stern. A brief pause came in between.

The expression on her face stilled me and I was overwhelmed. I could feel the calm havoc storming in the air but none of us were allowed to react under the ambience of her dire gaze.

"And you... " Ester finally spoke up after a devilishly long time and grabbed Tamara's hair and snarled, "If I see you anywhere near my husband, I will do the worst to you."

I have never seen Ester like this. It's the same time when she slapped me; fearless and unnerving anger. Ester pushed her away and walked away without saying anything.

It took me a few moments to come back to my senses and when I did, my first priority was to tell Ester when exactly happened and clear things out between us and then give a lesson to the guy who has just taken over my life for as long as I can remember.

I went home and looked for Ester desperately. My eyes searched her, not wanting to damage our bond forged with undying love.

I saw Ester in the garden, hugging her sides while looking away. I walked close to her and began to say breathlessly, I don't want her to be hurt anymore.

"Ester... it's not what you think. She is the one who kissed me, I was just shocked to react. You know it, I love you. I have never thought about any woman other than you. You trust me, don't you?" I looked at her expectantly, hoping she would understand as my heart was beating loud and fast.

She slowly turned to me and looked away, "I was in the same situation... you remember what you did?" She finally looked at me with her reactionless gaze, no emotion was visible on her face. There was just an eerie feeling lingering on her face.

"I was repentant for it. I didn't mean to." I said, tears brimmed in my eyes. My heart tightened and became faint. The tingling sensation of pain surged in me.

"Fine then. I didn't ask for any explanation. I just said I don't want to see you. That's all." She said shrugging her shoulders, her tone lacking any emotion I could encrypt.

"Please don't do this Ester." A tear rolled down my cheek, I took a step towards her but she moved back and put her hand in the air. She turned her head away and walked away.

"Ester please... I can never do this to you. Don't go away. Please have faith in me." I was at the verge of a breakdown, ready to break apart any moment.

I held her wrists but she flinched when I touched her so I quickly let go of her hand and whispered, "Ester-"

"Desmond, I am not angry at you. Just please don't talk to me for a while." Ester said and walked away leaving me alone with my heart breaking.

I stood where she left me, crumbling slowly. Not being able to think straight but I know one thing; now is the time. The time to tell Ester everything. Before I lose her forever, I have to tell her everything and clear things out.

I wiped the tears that rolled down my cheek and went inside. I waited for a while. Soon, evening came. The dusk fell upon the sky as the gloom gave me some courage to do what I have to do first.

Everything aside, I need to do something else first to elicit the depthness of my love in her so that she could understand how much she means to me and I am willing to do anything for her.

I went to our room and saw Ester looking out of the window, lost in deep thoughts. That mystery of her gaze is yet to be explored by me but the intention of eradicating the hidden resentment inside her is firm.

I walked closer and closed the door behind me and called her,

"Ester..." She turned to me and I lowered my head in shame.

"I know, my mistakes are irredeemable and yet you are with me. Even after I hurt you so much, you still decided to be with me, without knowing, without asking anything... you just continued to love me unconditionally."

"I broke those strings of hope you cling onto but Ester, now I want to entangle in those broken strings and get lost in the city of your heart with no hopes of coming back because the place where you live is my sanctuary. I don't have anywhere to go other than you. That's why please don't push me away from you. I am willing to do anything for it."

I said in a croaked voice, not lifting my broken gaze and met hers who was looking at me with a shocked yet anguish face.

My heart skipped a beat. A tear rolled down my cheek as I continued, "These hands have hurt you.. " I began to say. I swallowed the lump in my throat and sniffed; I did what I consider the best.

I held my hands out to her and bent on my knees,

"I have offered my life to you Ester... punish me for my deeds."