Chapter # 35

Ester, I was devastated, I perished. The intensity of my agony was something else but despite all this, Your love was my fortune. It gave me strength.

I went home and saw Mother. She grinned upon seeing me. "Oh, Desmond." I smiled and kissed her forehead. She then smirked and teased, "Why would you come to meet your mother? Can't you live without Ester even for a second?" I raised an eyebrow when I heard it. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Ester's here. She is with your Father." She smirked. I can take a guess about her reason for coming here. It is quite obvious.

"I see... I'll see them." I was about to leave but Mother called me, "Desmond." I stopped and turned to her, "Hmm?"

"How's your life?" She asked tentatively. I smiled widely and replied honestly, "I am very blessed."

Mother walked to me and cupped my cheek, "I pray for your happiness, my love."

"I know you do. That's why I am very happy. Nothing like before will happen." I promised. "Don't hurt her." Mother said, my heart clenched upon hearing this. It hurt me. I don't think my past will ever stop haunting me. I averted my gaze in shame from her, not saying anything else. Whenever the topic of our previous marriage lives was brought up, it kills me in a painfully slow manner to realize how menacing I was.

"I know you have hurt her a lot and still I and your Father begged her to be with you because we don't want to lose our child but Desmond that doesn't give you the right to give her any pain anymore. Keep it in your mind, If something happens this time, I won't stop her."

Mother said seriously. I looked at her intensely and gave her a slow nod, "I understand Mother. Rest assured. I have no intentions of hurting her ever again."

I passed her a faint smile. "I trust you." She patted my head.

I won't ever let this happen. I may have almost lost her because of Henry but time, I will not lose. I am not weak like before. The past will not be repeated.

"I'll go and see Father," I said, turning to leave.

"Aren't you here for Ester?" She asked.

"No, Ester is staying at her parent's home. I don't know about her arrival. I am here because I need to talk to Father." I informed her. She nodded, "Don't leave too quickly then. Have lunch with me."

"Okay." I smiled and left.

I then walked past the library and heard Father talking with Ester.

"Thank you so much for being with Desmond after all this."

"I am glad I came into his life. I am thankful for Desmond for changing me into a person I always wanted to become." Ester's soft voice came. A smile came to my lips when I heard it. I am happy for her. She changed for good.

"Seems like you both changed each other for good," Father said. That's true. She changed me, she gave me a reason to live, she granted me the life I lost hopes of living. And for that, I am in her debt eternally.

"Yeah... He broke my fantasies and I broke the poison induced in him for all these years."

"Which poison?" Father asked. Who knows what Father knows about it? What did Henry tell him? It would be better if Father and Ester don't discuss this matter.

I need to talk to Father about it first before he could talk to Ester about it. I don't want Father to give Ester any wrong information which can give rise to misunderstanding or something worse.

Before I could enter, Ester replied,

"The fear of loving someone. After pushing me away countless times, he finally accepted the fact he loves me." She sighed.

I stopped and leaned on the wall and let out a heave of relief that Ester didn't talk about Grace. Deep inside, I was content. She is right, she saved me.

"Ester, there's a reason why he did that. I am afraid I can't tell you but I doubt he will too." Father said sadly.

I have already told her about it, she promised to stay but for some reason, she is not complying with her words.

"It's okay. I shall wait for the day when he will be ready."

"Promise you'll stay by his side no matter what happens. He loves you, he can't live without you.." Father desperately said.

"I promise, I will never leave his side." Was it I or Ester turning from Delusional to... Fake? No, it's not true. She is fine. Nothing is wrong. I took a deep breath and walked inside.

"Father." I entered the library with a cold look.

I spared a glance at Ester, remembering our talk at the High School and said with no emotions, "I didn't know you were coming here."

"Because I didn't tell you." She passed me a mocking stare which I ignored. I rolled my eyes from her and said to Father, "I need to talk to you Father. Alone."

Father looked at us with a weird expression but nodded eventually. "Okay... Let's talk after lunch about my studies." I nodded. A silence came between us where I and Ester were glaring at each other and due to the awkwardness, Father cleared his throat.

"I need to see your Mother." Father excused himself and left.

After he left, I said, "You don't have to do this. I shall prove my innocence myself." She stood up and scoffed, "Fine." She closed her arms at her chest.

"Do what you should," I mumbled.

"I am working on it." She muttered.

"Also, Act as a sweet couple in front of my parents so they won't doubt us," I said, looking away.

"You are the one who glared at me first." She said coldly.

"You didn't show any enthusiasm as well."

"Did you expect me to shout in blithe?"

"You could have at least smiled at me," I said bitterly.

"Like you did." She said scornfully.

"And it's getting too much." I sighed.

"I guess so." She nodded. "Okay. Let's go, my dearest husband." The derision in her voice was so clear along with the fake smile. I narrowed my eyes at her, "No need to be this fake." I said vaguely.

"Don't tell me what to do." She clicked her tongue at me and walked out. I stood there dazzled by her. A soft laugh escaped my lips by looking at her like this. To be honest, she seems adorable.