Chapter # 36

Ester, you are my greatest strength.

I walked out as well and stood beside her. We both smiled, Mother and Father smiled when they saw us. "Let's have lunch." Mother grinned. We all sat down to have lunch. It was silent but then Ester spoke up,"Desmond." I flashed her a smile and asked in a charming tone, "Yes?"

"Can you get me an ice cream after lunch?" She asked sweetly. "I need to talk to my father." I reasoned. "You can do it after getting the ice-cream. Right, Father?" She asked, turning to Father.

"Yeah of course," Father said.

"Fine," I said.

"Also, drop me off as well." She demanded. "What are you trying to do?" I whispered to her angrily. "What? I am asking." She smiled mockingly. I looked at her, not knowing what to say. She is just teasing me.

"You surely have hit your head," I said to her and shook my head. "Whatever you say." She shrugged. "Fine." I exhaled.

"Do you need anything else, Her Majesty?" I asked. She giggled and shook her head no. I don't know whether she is faking it or truly doing it but I like it. It brought a smile to my lips as well.

After lunch, I bought ice-cream for everyone and finally got a chance to meet Father.

We entered his studies and Father said, "You and Ester seemed cute but are so rude. Don't be like this Desmond." Only if I can tell you.

"She was just teasing me. Don't worry about it." I said, taking a seat. Father nodded and sat beside me, "So what do you want to talk about?"

"I want to tell you things but before that, I want to know what you know."

"About what?"

"Me and Grace."

"Where did that come from?" Father's tone suddenly became angry.

"Just tell me," I said in irritation.

"What Henry told you?" I looked at him.

He took a deep breath and began to say, "You were a playboy and Grace was one of your infatuations. You pretend to love her and when she was pregnant with your child you neglected her to which she killed herself..."

"That's why Henry stopped you from loving anyone because he thought you were playing with their feelings. And to end this nightmare, I forced you to marry Ester thinking if you have a responsibility you might fall in love like most of the couples and realize your mistake. Wanting to start things anew but it didn't go well and you almost lost Ester because of your insecurity."

My eyes widened in shock. The unfathomable reality was hidden from him. He knew a completely different story and all of it is a lie.

I tried to push Ester but couldn't and then Henry forced me to push her away. I am not the one who created circumstances to pull Ester apart from me, Henry forced me to.

I don't believe how he was living in darkness all this time. Only because my father and I avoid talking about this in depth.

All this mess ruined lives just because I was weak and refused to face reality. Father had enough lies as well. He needs to know the truth.

My flabbergast was replaced by my wrath mixed with a devoid of emotions. I blinked, trying to think from where should I start telling him.

I grasp my senses and thoughts. I nodded and turned away, knowing what exactly I should tell him first.

"For God's sake, Grace was not pregnant! Why is he telling everyone the same thing?!" I was utterly annoyed by hearing it.

It's now breaking my tranquil to hear the same thing. Why is he telling the same thing to everyone? It's not true.

This low-level lie can only help him to gain trust. Why is he breaking all boundaries to keep the blame on me?

"..What do you mean?" Father asked, baffled.

"We broke up because I lost my interest in her. I don't love her, that's why she killed herself." I told him.

He was shocked, trying to comprehend my words. It was the same for me when I was trying to overcome the delusion of being Grace's murderer.

"What?!" Father whisper-yelled at me. It was hard for him to apprehend. I took a deep breath and began to tell him everything. His reaction was no different from Mr Willows.

He was astonished and furious. His reaction was more emotional, it almost pushed him in the tunnels of agony. He could break anytime.

"I can't believe... I lived my life in a lie..." He managed to whisper to himself after a while.

"We never talked. He took advantage of my weakness and used it against me." I hissed.

"If I talk to you about it before and tell you what truly happened, none of it will happen."

"All this happened and I never knew about it..." Father was still staggered.

"And now you do. So if something happens, please keep the truth I told you in your mind." I stood up.

"Of course! I will not let him suffer my child anymore. I have let him play with my child, I won't let it happen anymore. Don't worry Desmond, I am with you."

Father put his hand over my shoulder and gave it an assuring squeeze

"Thanks..." I passed him a faint smile, "I need it." I hugged Father for a long time. "Thank you, Father," I whispered.

"I am sorry son," Father whispered.

I was about to cry but I pulled away. "I'll take my leave. Take care of yourself and Mother." I said. "You too." I then left his studies.

I saw Ester with Mother in the lounge, talking with each other, I entered and called Ester, "Ester." She shot her head at me and smiled at me as she asked, "Yes?"

"Come. We are leaving." I said and we both left after bidding goodbye to Mother.

Our drive to leave her back home was silent. It was a comfortable silence, we didn't exchange any words.

There wasn't any need to. We know there's no need to talk, it would be better if we remain silent for now. We stopped at her mansion. She got out and spared a glance at me and finally left with saying,

"It's going to end soon."