Chapter # 15

Ester, Even after pushing you away countless times, after hurting you so much, after crushing everything; you still gathered those fragments and put them together and made me who I am today. You gave me life. Thank you.

***

Her cheeks turned crimson as she laughed quietly and turned her head away while putting her one hand on the side of her face, looking so timid.

I walked closer and leaned in her ear, "I love you." I whispered and pulled away. She looked at me with her exquisite gaze. I lifted her chin and leaned in close to her face.

"Can I kiss you?" I asked, leaning in.

"Yes.." She said in a low tone, with a wide smile plastered over her lips and looking so abashed. I moved my hand to her neck and moved closer. She closed her eyes and I was about to embed this rapture of kissing her into my very soul but I heard a voice, "Ester!" A soft screeching sound from a heterochromia girl.

I grit my teeth and Ester opened her eyes and pulled away from me. I curled my hand in a fist and turned my head and saw none other than the person who loves destroying our moments there. Henry with Grace there.

"Hey!" Grace came and hugged Ester. "Hey! You are also here." she beamed. Ester passed her a faint smile and held my hand weakly. I removed my hand from Ester. She looked at me in slight surprise but I put my arms around her shoulder protectively and pulled her close to me.

"Hey Desmond and Mrs Corte, I knew you would be there." Henry said, greeting us. I remained silent and kept looking at it with my cold gaze.

"I know how much you love nature." Henry said.

"I don't think I have ever told you." Ester said in a low voice.

"Leave that talk, come Ester. You guys enjoy it!" Grace said and dragged Ester with her. Before both of us could protest, Grace took Ester away.

"Look, Desmond. Ester is going far away." Henry said with a smirk. "I don't have time for you." I said rudely and was about to leave but he stopped me.

"Remember how you said that you need Ester in your life and when I told you that she cannot be yours, I won't let it. You wreak havoc. And I am saying this now, You and Ester can't be together."

The sweet day of my life got ruined by his presence, I inhaled deeply and turned to him, "What happened to Grace wasn't my fault. She did this to herself, stopped blaming and taking my serenity away from me. I will never let go of Ester. You have used me for years, I did what you told me in all these years but not anymore. I won't be your slave anymore, I will break free and be with Ester. Do whatever you can." I said in an angry whisper losing my breath.

At the verge of crying, remembering those mournful days. "Don't... Don't you dare." I said panting heavily.

"Not your fault? It was all your fault because you neglected her, Desmond. What happened to my sister was all your fault." Henry whisper-yelled at me.

"You are just looking for someone to put blame on. I cannot force myself to love her."

"Then why you-"

"Desmond..." Ester's voice came. I exhaled deep and put up a smile even if I was burning from inside. "Yes?" I asked sweetly.

"Let's go. It was nice to meet you, Grace and Mr Joseph but me and Desmond have to go now." Ester said and before I could say she held my hand took me away with her.

"I know how much you hate him, I don't want you to ruin your mood because of them. Come on, Let's go home. I am tired but before going, let's have lunch somewhere." She grinned. When I looked at her, my anger faded. I stared at her for a few seconds and said, "But we left something incomplete." I said.

"What?" She asked, perplexed. I smirked and held her waist and pressed my lips upon her. I kissed her and pulled away.

"This. Now come on." I said and she stood there stunned and a blushing mess. It took her a few moments to regain her senses as she laughed a little and walked after me and we went home after having lunch, spending a great time together which is no less than a source of salvation for me.

"Ester, What I am about to tell you is very important. It's my truth and I hid it from you, the reason why I hated you and pushed you away from me. Listen.. I used to date Henry's sister. She loved me a lot, it's not that I didn't. I also loved her but our relationship didn't work so I broke up and she... she killed.. she killed. Shit!"

I growled and turned my head away. I ran my hand in my hair and let out a frustrating vibe. I grit my teeth and emit a deep breath. I looked at myself in the mirror again and began to say,

"Ester.. I want to tell you that I used to date Henry's sister but we broke up and she killed herself because of me. I then got scared of loving and pushed us away." I said hurriedly. I was practicing for a while to tell Ester but I wasn't able to.

I want to tell her everything so that the last straw of us pulling away could be crushed. I felt so scared to tell. But, What is there to be afraid of? I didn't kill her myself, she was weak and did this to herself then why am I terrified?

What happened to me? When it wasn't my fault then why do I feel scared? Why Henry's words are echoing in my mind that Grace died because of me and my love will kill people.

I looked around frantically, not understanding what I should do. These emotions are taking over my senses and breaking me apart.

There is a strange devoid in my mind which is not letting me think. I am losing my ability to think, becoming a puppet whose strings are attached to Henry. I don't want to become that. He is controlling me and I couldn't do anything about it.

I kicked the table and slammed my hands on the table, turning things here and there. I turned my study upside down and cursed loudly. A few tears rolled down from the corner of my eyes as I fell on my knees and lowered my head.

A soft sob escaped my lips and I leaned my back on the table and cried to myself. Why is this happening to me? What wrong I did if I loved Ester. Why do I have to hate her when I can love her with all my heart? Why is he making me do this?

The tears of heartbreak rolled down, I was falling deep into those bottomless pits of affliction with no voice to call me and take me out.

All that was left was a scar on my heart and I could feel the tingling sensation of pain surging in my body.

"Ester.. I used to date Henry's sister.. That's why I don't want you to meet her or his brother and talk to them. They all are bad.." I said to myself in a low tone, wiping my tears.

"I know." Her voice came, I was stiff when I heard her voice. Did she hear everything? I quickly looked up and saw her coming towards me. I tried to read the unfathomable reaction on her face but couldn't.

She bent in front of me and put her hand over mine as she passed me a smile. "That's Grace, isn't it?" She asked in a whisper. I sniffed and nodded.

My heart skipped a beat in dread of seeing her reaction. I gulped and looked intensely at her, losing my breath, utterly frightened of hearing her upcoming words.

"That's why you don't like me meeting her and not involving myself much with them. I also want to stay away from them, both of them are somehow... sinister. You don't have to worry about it. I won't meet or talk to her. Don't stress yourself Desmond. I trust you whether Grace is here or not, doesn't make any difference to me."